My mom suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and she has been taking methotrexate with folic acid. I am worried about her and I don’t understand hers condition. I would like some explanation on what is rheumatoid arthritis and why prescribe methotrexate with folic acid? I’ll appreciate any help.

Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease in which the body’s immune system attacks its own healthy tissues, mostly in the joints of the hands and feet and causes redness, pain, swelling and heat around the joints. Methotrexate is a disease modifying anti-inflammatory drug that is given to decrease pain and swelling and also slow the progress of rheumatoid arthritis. For some people, methotrexate causes side effects such as stomach upset, so taking a folate supplement (folic acid or folinic acid) at the same time as methotrexate may help decrease the side effects of methotrexate. That is why they prescribed her in combination.