I have had RSD now since May of 2000' & have looked through just about everything but I just can't quite seem to lay my hands on a definitive YES that RSD is an Auto Immue Disease .. Could someone lay this to rest please? I will certainly appreciate it Eternally!

Hi there, as best as I have heard, RSD is a neurological disorder, not an autoimmune disease but athat's only from stuff I've read. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Is RSD an autoimmune disease? I'm starting to think that it somewhat is. My gf has RSD, and has had it since 2008. Recently she has contracted some sort of eye disease that is actually caused by an autoimmune disease. We wont find out the conclusion to the tests til next week. One of the things I find interesting about RSD, is that actually the immune system is put into overdrive after the trauma of what caused RSD in the first place. The immune system is constantly working to fight off the RSD, and getting nowhere. If its fighting nonstop, then what prevents it from turning on itself? They are acutally doing studies in the UK right now with treating the immune system for RSD or CRPS. 50% of patients have had a decrease in pain or pain subsides all togher. The treatment is IV based, so the patient has to go for the treatment every 4-5mths, just like a cancer patient getting kimo.
I think RSD is a combination of things, and its so hard to pin point the exact system to treat. The nervous system does play a factor in it, thats been pretty much proven, but you cant rule out the immune system.

Hello Linda LaP,
yes RSD is an auto-immune condition, meaning it is caused by pathogen-
(virus, bacteria, fungus.....) or environmental toxin. I am dealing with this condition myself . It took me almost 3 years to get to the bottom of it. All the literature on internet is very limited when it comes to finding more about RSD. However, chiropractors specializing in functional medicine know RSD is an auto-immune condition, and they are experienced in dealing with this condition as well. Book about Paleo Diet written by Sarah Ballantyne, Ph.D. also confirms the fact about RSD being an auto-immune condition. You need to do some very deep digging, have done a lot of lab work. Try to see chiropractors specializing in functional medicine and/or doctors specializing in environmental medicine, they will help you to get to the bottom of it.Make sure they are very experienced.This way you will find out what was the cause or contributed to the cause. Good luck!!!!
Kat

I am interested in learning more about the UK study and RSD. If you have any info as to how to get in touch with someone Wouldnyou please post. Thank You!

The UK study is done by Andreas Goebel. CRPS has not been scientifically determined to be an auto-immune disease as it does not meet the three criteria required for that (at least not yet), however, I do think the research being done in the UK is interesting. I found it while doing research on the connection between auto-immune and CRPS, because it does seem to mimic auto-immune at least to some degree. CRPS is indeed a complex disorder that seems to involve multiple body systems. The central nervous system is linked in at least a subset of patients as manifested in symptoms such as tremor and dystonia. Something is causing the body to go into overdrive. I am just learning about all of this. If you want more info than a simple search will provide, read the medical journals. There are many interesting theories out there. It helps knowing that there are teams of research doctors working on learning more about this.

Hi in Tom O'Bryan's the Autoimmune Fix book its listed as autoimmune

My RSD started 2008 after a cervical diskectomy and right hand CTR. Body wide now. Cleveland and mayo confirmed surgery caused my RSD . Not bacterial,fungus.

Hi-just want to clarify your statenent that RSD is caused by bacteria, fungus, etc. I know the autoimmune part of RSD can be caused in this way. RSD is also referred to as neuro-autoimmune. In my 18+ years of suffering with this relentless disease, usually the cause is shown as an injury of some kind, which can be a simple sliver in the finger, a fracture, etc. RSD is different in every person & can range from having the main symptom of extreme pain out of proportion with the injury to 20+ symptoms that can come & go.I so wish I could say that I, along with drs have found a solution to my RSD, but have not. I can tell you, in my experiences, you need to fight for every test; medication, etc., that you find out may give you relief. Seems the majority of drs will only do the tests, etc., that they need to unless you request&insist on the treatment. Also, if you tell your drs you are feeling something that cannot be explained...do not doubt yoursel! Be steadfast in what you know to be true. Recently, after having emergency major surgery, a new dr. (physiatrist) questioned suspiciously several times during our interview why I "thought" I had RSD-my physical symptons aren't as obvious as they were the first 15 yrs. After over 18 yrs of this, I still need to defend myself. So please, again, do not doubt what you know you are feeling. RSD affects the body, mind,&spirit more than anybody knows. Wishing you all the best, as well as the miracle of recovery!