Hi, folks. My little cousin is diagnosed with kawasaki disease. I have never heard about this disease in my life. What is it? How serious is it? Is it curable? I have so many questions that I need to ask you. I hope someone will manage to answer to my post. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. This disease is an autoimmune disease. Immune system attacks cells in the organism. Those diseases are never 100% curable. With a proper treatment, a person can go into remission when he/she has no symptoms. In remission period the disease exists, but there are no symptoms and a person feels well. However, that person can also easily go into relapse. Those are the periods when symptoms appear again. I hope your cousin will be fine. Bye!

Hello there rhys1363,

I am so sorry to hear that your little cousin is diagnosed with Kawasaki disease. This is autoimmune condition and as harland1877 has already explained to you this means that your cousin’s body is fighting against him. Unfortunately this condition isn’t curable but with proper treatment the symptoms are really reduces.

Also this condition is mostly diagnosed in children but this isn’t always the case. But when other parent’s hear that some child is diagnosed with incurable condition they tend to freak out a little bit so it is best to inform them that this condition can’t be transmitted on their children. I hope that your family is going to find a good way to manage with your cousin’s condition.

This is a ridiculous answer, and you should not have answered this question if you were not fully knowledgeable on the subject. There is no evidence that Kawasaki Disease is an auto immune disorder, and in fact, the cause remains unknown. It is very, very rare for a patient with KD to relapse, and very possible for a patient treated with proper care and the IVIG to make a full recovery. My son had KD at the age of four and is now a very healthy 18-year old.