Hi, some time ago I started to feel pain in my joints. It does not end and is not pleasant at all. With it I started having some difficulties breathing and a cough was developing. I went to see the doctor. He did some tests and told me that I have a rheumatoid arthritis lung disease. What can you tell me about this kind of illness?

Hi, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. Its cause is unknown but is somehow connected with genetics and hormonal changes. Since it is autoimmune disease it means that our immune system is responsible for its development. It all happens when the immune system recognizes the tissue in our body as a threat and acts against it causing inflammation. Lung conditions are also known to occur in rheumatoid arthritis. Almost a quarter of people that have rheumatoid arthritis develop a rheumatoid arthritis lung disease. Difficulties breathing, cough, chest pain and fever are the symptoms of this condition. What happens with this condition is that lungs cannot work properly because of the inflammation caused by the air sacks on alveoli that wound their supporting structure. There is no known cure for rheumatoid arthritis lung disease. The treatment consists of the use of medicine that can help treat the complications that may occur. Such are corticosteroids and immunosuppressive therapies.