A girl in my class has got crohn’s disease. Did I understand it right that this has got something to do with the immune system? So what actually happens with crohn’s disease? How does it affect the immune system? I know that she takes a couple of different drugs. Are these to weaken or strengthen the immune system? Someone told me it was to weaken the immune system, but that doesn’t sound right to me, because a weak immune system is a bad thing, isn’t it?

The problem with crohn's disease and other autoimmune disorders is that a person's overactive immune system in fact attacks cells that should be in the body. It mistakes those cells for a virus or disease, and destroys healthy cells. That is why the medication given for crohn's disease needs to slow down the immune system, and keep it from destroying things it shouldn't. Does that make sense?