Hi, many years ago, I had a stress fracture in one of my feet. It developed into reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD). When I try to walk a little longer, I get an attack and my joint swells abnormally. What should I do?

I have the same problem. I have a RSD attack when I try to have a physical activity that is more than a simple walk. My joints swell, and it hurts me very much. I can’t touch that area how sensitive it is in that moment. When I have an inflammation like this, I use aspirin, and it really helps me. The attacks are usually systematic, I have them in joints of both feet at the same time. It is very difficult when I have a RSD attack when I’m alone at home. I can’t go to a store, and sometimes it’s difficult to go to the bathroom. I recommend you to try with aspirin as me, or with some other medications for inflammation like ibuprofen, naproxen or indomethacin.

Lyrica for neuropathic pain has been used by myself and others for RSD related pain with good results. Talk with your doctor.

Sorry to be rude, but the post that suggests taking aspirin for RSD? Is just silly. Kind of like putting a bandaide on a popped artery. It won't do you any good.

Just had to post to let those who have the unfortunate luck to have RSD. It is the most painful condition one can have, and many have Morphine pumps, take morphine, and other very strong narcotics, that STILL don't relieve their pain. RSD is just not touchable with any drug completely. So, aspirin? Those who have RSD, don't think you're weak. Your not. Aspirin won't relieve your RSD pain. Probably wouldn't even touch it or cause even a slight bit of relief so would be a complete waste of time.
See a "real" specialist. A pain management doctor maybe. There is no cure for RSD so extremely powerful medications are prescribed to try to keep you in as little pain possible. Have yet to find that drug, but lets all hope one day they will find a cure.
In the mean time, I would suggest Ketamine, it is one of the newer RSD treatments. They make it in a cream to put on topically and it realy works, and they are now trying it as an IV drug while an inpatient at the hospital. Don't believe it will help the swelling, but does help the pain.