Hi, my mother is diagnosed with stenosis of the spine. She already has osteoarthritis so I am very worried about her health. How will this stenosis affect her already damaged spine? The doctor prescribed her with aspirin and some pain killers. I don't see how these drugs will help her with her serious condition. Should we ask for a second opinion? I have some doubts about her doctor's competency regarding stenosis of the spine.

Hi, in your mother's case, spinal stenosis is caused by osteoarthritis. Because cartilage between the vertebrae of the spine is deteriorating the bones are left unprotected. When all of the cartilage is consumed our body makes bony structures, called bone spurs, in order to protect the joints. The bone spurs cause the narrowing of spine canal which damages the spinal cord and can be manifested as pain in the legs, arms or back. You should not doubt your mother's doctor, because non-steroidal anti-inflammation drugs such as aspirin and analgesics are the basic treatment for spinal stenosis. She should also continue with her osteoarthritis therapy. Unfortunately, a cure for spinal stenosis has not yet been discovered. If the prescribed therapy does not help your mother in the desired way, the doctor may suggest surgery to relieve the pressure of the spinal cord.