Hey, I need some help with my therapy. I have been prescribed with Seconal for insomnia but that drug isn’t helping me at all with my problem. Honestly, I only got irritated more and sometimes I feel nauseous and weak. I have been under the therapy for almost ten days and no good sleep at all. What should I do now?

Well, I think you have given enough time to Seconal for its effect and just did not happen. So, I guess you will have to change the therapy immediately but first explain your doctor all that you have been experiencing while undergoing the treatment. I guess you will be prescribed with some other medication and perhaps the doctor will search some more for the cause of your insomnia.

I don't know why on earth you'd be prescribed Seconal in this day and age. There are much safer and more effective alternatives. For moderate insomnia, I'd recommend Ambien or Diazepam (valium). For severe insomnia, I'd try Temazepam(Restoril) or Triazolam (halcion).

Keep in mind that all these drugs are all very addictive (although Seconal is much worse than all of them). I know first hand that sleeping pills are not a solution to the problem. They have an extremely high abuse potential. If you take them every night, they will lose their effectiveness quickly.

I know this first hand--first it was once in a while for me, then every night, then taking more than I was prescribed to get the same effect...it's a bad path to travel down, and will only worsen your sleep problems in the long run.

Whoever prescribed you these Seconols is making a huge mistake and putting you in danger. Many, many people have died from Seconal overdose alone. Find a doctor who isn't a pill-pusher, and deal with the underlying phychological or physical issues that are causing your sleep problems. I'd recommend lifestyle changes (especially increase in exercise) and psychotherapy.

Good luck, and try to avoid the addictive meds as much as possible!

Benzodiazepines like Valium, Halcion and Xanax are rarely addictive and the hysteria around this notion has gone on too long. They are good drugs and do not stop working. Perpetuating their so called potential for abuse serves the drug companies well and helps them to promote drugs like Ambien which work but made me sleepwalk. Often, alcoholics will blame these drugs for their problems and believe what they are saying.
Seconal is an effective treatment for sleep problems which was uses in prior decades often. Considering the amount of prescriptions written for these drugs relatively few people died over the years and very few people became additived. Although I believe they are the best drug for sleep, the lethal dose is not all that far from the theraputic dose, so if a drugged person keeps taking the pill accidently 8 times, they could die.
Sadly, doctors believe all of the propaganda they are fed, and then inexpensive sleeping drugs become rarely used.
Valium,Xanax and Halcion to name a few are very difficult to die from. Overblown report abound however if you look beneath the surface, other drugs and alcohol are almost always involved.

Seconal when used properly is the best sleeping medication I have ever used. I think it has been vilified to the point that physicians are hesitant to prescribe. Thankfully I have a doctor that knows, again when taken as directed, Seconal will work. I take this sometimes twice a week and I sleep. I do not wake up groggy and feeling drugged. I wake up with my memory in tact, unlike with Ambien and the other benzo drugs. Pharmacists look at you like you have a prescription for "Heroin" and seldom have it in stock. It is very difficult to find. Any drug, including OTC drugs like Tylenol can be dangerous. I have heard all of the horror stories about Seconal, Jimi Hendrix, Judy Garland, assisted suicides in Oregon. Sorry, this does not make this drug obsolete or a "bad" medication.