I’ve been suffering from insomnia ever since I stopped taking Effexor and all natural ways to help me to get asleep didn’t really help much. I tried taking melatonin supplement, running and exercising and even herbal tea as a sleep remedy, but none of them really helped since I’m still managing to sleep only few hours before dawn.

Now i’m thinking to see my doctor to prescribe me some sleep aid and I was wondering what are your experiences with Valium and Xanax - which one works better as a sleep aid?

Hello Sam,

as far as strength is concerned, Xanax is much stronger than Valium, so you'd need much lower dose (something like .25 mg compared to 2-5 mg) to get an anxiolytic effect which should relax you enough to be able to fall asleep easily. However, xanax is also shorter-acting of the two, meaning that the effects will stop within a few hours, while on Valium you can expect to have a full night of medication at work.

After I had similar sleep issues after stopping Zoloft 100mg cold turkey I found that Valium helped me more, because I was completely relaxed and feeling Ok on xanax, but sleepiness just wasn't there.

Are you currently taking any antidepressants? As far as sleep aids are concerned, most of them are addictive - both Valium and Xanax are, but since you tried already melatonin supplement (which I recommend you to continue because it will help in the long run) and exhausted all other options, you should talk to your doctors about medications that are specifically designed to help you get into sleep. One of these is Ambien (zolpidem) but there are others too. They pretty much knock you out within a half an hour of taking it, but since they too are addictive, you should only use them until you get your sleep pattern back in place.

Hi, thanks for your replies! I'm not taking any anti depressants at the moment, since I had really bad experience with side effects from Effexor, I'm just trying to give my body a chance to recover from that drug. I've been taking melatonin this whole time, and I guess I'll continue with that, but like marlei said, my real problem is getting to fall asleep. I'll definitely ask for Ambien or something similar, but we'll see what my doc will say, Sam