Hi, I need some help with my father. He is 56 years old and desperately trying to leave alcohol behind him. He even went to group therapies and it looks like he is finally having some success. He has been sober for three months but I can see that he is always nervous, jumpy and agitated. I would like to know if recovering alcoholics can use seconal?

I don’t think that is such a good idea. I’m no expert but I do know that seconal belongs to group of barbiturates and they are habit forming. They are helpful with several conditions, including stress, anxieties, insomnia but doctors today are always trying to prescribe some alternative medications, if possible. It looks like its effect on the brain might bring more harm than good.

I can almost guarentee that if he started using Seconal he would either a) Get hooked on it, b) relapse with alcohol or c) both.

The best thing for him is to get involved in DAILY addiction treatment like meetings (maybe even in-patient), get a sponsor and to avoid all drugs of abuse (seconal being one of them), as they will surely trigger a relapse.

Good luck and god bless you for the pain you must have endured throughout your life because of you fathers disease. I have addiction in my family as well. Let me tell you, 3 months sober is not much time. He needs intensive treatment for a long time (we're talking years) in order to recover. Avoiding the urge to relapse (on any substance) is crucial to his success.