My son was injured while playing basketball few days ago. I took him to doctor and he told me that he has separation in sternum, due to the sport injury. Can I get more information about this?

The sternum is a long, flat bone in the front of the chest and the ribs attach to the sternum with cartilage at sites called costochondral junctions. Separation of a rib from the sternum is called a costochondral separation. It can occur for many reasons but the most common ones are with sport injury. This injury is very painful. The pain increases while breathing deeply, coughing or sneezing. The most important thing to do is to relieve the pain so you can breathe normally, as with other injuries involving the ribs. Unfortunately, this injury can take 2 to 3 months to heal. It is important to rest and to avoid movement that causes pain. Once healing is complete, your son should consider wearing some type of protective padding, to avoid re-injury. Also, he needs to be extra careful while engaging in sports activities.

I ran into something really hard while playing with my grandson. My chest hurt terribly, and a bruise appeared. It pops when I breathe deeply or move. Do I need an Xray?