i am 35 for about 9 months i have been having pain in my sternum. I had a chest x-ray and cat scan and it shows a separation in my sternum and that one side is higher then the other. {that would expain the problems i am having with my neck and shoulder} the radiologist stated it was due to something during adolesent but i dont recall ever having a problem or accident. i also checked with my parents no accidents or any surgeries. My Primary DR wants me to go for a Bone scan. But what could this be? What are they looking for? any info is greatly appreciated.

Hope

I can’t say what they are looking for in your case but bone scans are usually done to determine if there are new areas of bone growth or breakdown, to see how damaged bones are, or to check for conditions that affect the bones. Bone scans are better then x rays as they can detect things earlier. When do you have your bone scan appointment?

At age 47 I had cabg X 2. I was doing good until a mold and chemical exposure during construction at work. The past two years I have been miserable. I've developed asthma. I have sternum pain all the time which is exacerbated from my asthma, coughing, exercising, lifting. My bone scan shows inflammation and the white blood cell count is high, however, there is no infection. I have been to numerous pain clinics including Mayo. Injections do not seem to help. Do I have to live like this forever? Am I going go get better. The best I have been is when I do nothing. But I am too young for that. What could you suggest?

I had similar pain that had no reason for being. Turned out to be paget's disease of the bone. They do a blood test and bone scan to detect it. I went on a chemical derived from shark cartlidge for 9 months. Stopped the pain but I lost all my teeth over it. Seems the way this stuff works is to stop all activities of the cells that build and repair bone. I guess that includes the teeth as well. Paget's disease is especially bad when you have heart problems as well. They way it kills you is to build enough bone that requires enough circulation so that your heart can't handle the load any longer.

Griz

I went to the dr & had pain in my chest with pain shuting down my left arm. My mom made me go to Dr thinking I had a mini heart attack. I ached all over my body & had head aches & fatigue. The Dr said I seperated my sternum. I guess thats better then a heart attack.
I had ran under a tracter trailer a few months ago & was surprised to find out that I had seperated my sternum. I guess I must have done this during this accident & did not even notice it till later. I guess sternums must heal very slow. My mom says its better then a broken rib.

I guess time is the only thing that heals these type of injuries.