My son fractured his sternum few weeks ago in a game of volleyball. He is 16. He is the best in his school team, and they are supposed to have important match which he missed. He has been to see physician and he told him to put some ice on it. He still complains on pain and I won’t let him to play volleyball for some time. Does he need to wear some brace or something like that? How long is healing period for sternum fracture?

The same thing happened to my daughter while she was playing basketball. She really needed some treatment because she was in a such pain that I was not able to look at her.  When they did x - ray, it showed that she has sternum fracture and that this was the main reason why she is in pain. Honestly, it didn't seem to me that she was dealing with something like that, but she was. It was painful and after almost six months it still is. You should know that in most cases, this broken sternum will heal on its own, but as you can see it takes 3 months or longer for the pain to go away. Painkillers can definitely help. 

It can take moths for the sternum to be strength again. However, I think that 3-4 weeks is enough in his age. If he feels the pain after he might need physiotherapy. I don’t think that he should return for a longer period of time after sternum fracture. I don’t know anyone who wears a brace for sternum fracture.