Yesterday i was snowboarding and i slammed my my chest on a rail. I think i might have broken my sternum and/or some of my ribs. After i had hit the rail i laid on the ground for a while. I couldnt breathe for like a minute but it didnt feel like i got the wind knocked out of me it felt different. I got up and realised that my fall prolly looked funny and i laughed and it hurt so bad when i laughed that it made me cry. I didnt know if i had actuall broken my bone or not because i cant see any bruising or redness. It just hurts when i breathe in really deep, when i laugh, and when i lay down. I dont want to go to the hospital if i dont have to. The pain isnt that bad but i dont it seems liek it got worse since yesterday.

That reminds me about my injury while I was skiing. I thought that I was a professional, but of course - I didn't. I wasn't even a good beginner. 

I didn't want to go to the ski path for the beginners, so I went to this bigger path and you can guess how this finished - with sternum fracture. It was three months ago and it still hurts. When I fell down it hurt so bad, I was not able to move, to sneeze or anything else.

The best thing was that my sister reacted so fast and she called the doctor immediately even if I didn't want to go to the hospital, telling myself and everyone around me that I am fine. But I was not. Ribs contusion was my diagnose. 

I think that this was the best possible option. I don't even want to think about the pain when someone broke his/her ribs :/ 

My boyfriend had a car accident a week ago. It wasn’t serious but he did get a trauma to his chest wall. He also has pain and when he laughs, I can see that it hurts him but he doesn’t want to admit and he doesn’t want to go and see a doctor. He also has a protruding bone or something that looks like that.

What if his sternum really is broken?

Guys,
Go to the doctor! Are you nuts? If there is internal bleeding you could be in a world of hurt. On the bone out of place,--go to the doctor! I hate to sound like your dad, but if something is wrong, you should have health care folks watching over it.

hi i got kicked on the right side of my chest 9 days ago went to the drs who prescribed 600 mg of ibuprofeno .there is no brusing just extremley painfull cant lie down properly and other movements hurt and when i deep breath ..im getting all panicky now .cant visit hospital as i have no insurance

u got kicked and he perscribed u tylenol? I just left the hospital for falling really hard on my back with it bent cause it feels like its broken and I got vicodin .. didnt have insurance . a hospital cant refuse to treat u cause you dont have any money

What you guys are saying sounds just like what I'm dealing with.
A few days ago I was at a concert and two heavy guys fell on me, sandwiching me into the wall.
There is no bruising around my sternum, but when I breathe deeply, laugh, or lay down, it hurts.
I'm not in my native country right now, so it would be really expensive for me to go get an X-ray or something.
Has anyone to whom this has happened experienced relief after a time? What did you do for help?
Did you any of you find out if you actually had broken or fractured something?
Thanks

i tripped on a lava rock and fell hard on my sternum and knee cap, just about losing consciousness. When I came to, the pain was so great, i couldn't stand and my friends helped me to the van. Slowly, i recuperated enough to drive home after my friends dropped me off at my car, but i experienced similar symptoms as above: it hurt when I laughed, when i sat up or sat down, took a deep breath, when I went to lie down, turn to my side, or get up out of bed. Pain felt sharp, but if I was still, no pain really in my sternum. my friend is a nurse, and told me to ice the area, she didn't think any ribs were broken or there was a fracture because if that were the case the pain would be constant, unrelenting, even for a moment. So i didn't go right to the hospital. But a few days later the pain seemed even more severe in those instances of movement or lifting anything, even a liter water bottle, let alone me out of the chair or bed. So I went to the hospital, and the doctor said that nothing was broken, that it was a contusion, or sprain, but that those don't show up on x-rays. She said it needs a week to 3 weeks to heal, and especially rest the first week with anti-inflammatory over the counter meds. I took a natural health food store version. It does really hurt and it is surprising to notice how much those muscles do that I used to take for granted, but the pain felt like it was right on the bone. It was starting to be pretty frustrating in that there was not much doctors could do for it and I wanted to get back to work. i called Oral Roberts prayer line for pray for healing and I amazed at how much better I am feeling now.

Last night I was wasted and my friends freaked out and called the abulance, I was out cold when they got there but i was breathing and everything was fine, the ambulance man started pushing in on the bones in the middle at the top as hard as he good and kinda rubbing them around, even being so out of it it was really really painful but i was too wasted to open my eyes for long, he just kept doing it. anyway, I ended up waking up enough to say that i didn't want to go to hospital and now i'm at home, it's about 12 hours later and my chest has been hurting so much since then, about 2 finger spaces down from my coller bone there is a bone sticking out (i think it's bone) in a sort of lump, it makes me feel physically ill when I touch it and is bruised and red, there are a few other sore spots but yeah I'm worried that he might of damaged the bone but it doesn't really seem like a health professional would do any permanent damage? I don't want to ask my mum to look at it because I would rather she didn't know about the whole situation.