My son suffered trauma when playing football with his friends a month ago. Two weeks after, he started complaining about the sharp pain in the chest area, especially when taking breaths. I got scared that maybe he had hurt his sternum or something and went to a doctor with him. He was diagnosed with costochondritis. I am not so sure I got right what this condition is. Can you please try to explain this to me! Thank you

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions of upper ribs and the cartilage that holds ribs to the breastbone or sternum. It causes pain but is actually quite harmless and usually goes away without treatment. Most of the time, the cause is not known. It can be caused by repeated minor trauma (like in your son’s case) to the chest wall or viral respiratory infections. Different viral, bacterial and fungal infections can also contribute to this condition.