I was in a car accident a little over 2 weeks ago in which the seatbelt restrained me going over 100 mph. I had a catscan in the ER that showed no breaks or fractures, and the seatbelt bruising faded within a few days. Im still in alot of pain whenever i sneeze, hiccup, cough or laugh and my doctors dont think there should still be anything wrong w/ me. could i still have internal injuries that a catscan wouldnt show, without having any external bruising? any ideas? i just wanna know when this will go away..

I was also in a car accident in October. My cat scan also showed negative. After 10 weeks of pain I asked my doctor if anything could have been missed. I was sent for a bone scan and additional x-rays which did in fact show a broken sternum that was missed the first time tested. Get a bone scan done.

Hi. Car accident injury that usually happens to almost every driver is the sternal fracture. I think that you should know that this is a fracture that usually involves one of three bones that are semi-fused together. It can be dangerous if you don't heal it on time. When it comes to the injury, those are usually fractures of the middle bone, and then the body of the sternum. I am not going to talk about the mortality rate, but generally, I think that drivers are not very aware of that fact. They are not even aware of the potential dangers. I had car accident also and before that, I didn't even know how lucky I was. My injuries were pretty bad, but thanks to doctors I am OK now. 

even im also facing the same problem, i need the remedy for the same plz help me.

I don't know this forum but came to these questions through a google search. I fractured my sternum about 10 days ago from my seatbelt in a car accident. I've experienced excruciating pain and am amazed how movement in so many other parts of my body affect it! For help, my doctors gave me vicodin. I also take the maximum dosage of ibuprofen for adults: 800 mg every 6 hours. My further relief comes from a heating pad on my chest with blankets over it. Still, it's taking a very long time to heal. I guess that's just how it is. I've found blowing my nose and coughing to be very challenging, and a sneeze really sets the healing back--makes my chest burn with pain until I cry (which, for me, is very rare). One way to breathe more easily is to bend over from your waist and kind of hang upside down while breathing. The more you can breathe deeply from your diaphragm (abdominal breathing), the easier it will be on your sternum. Deeper breathing is also crucial to prevent lung problems as you heal. Good luck, everybody!

I was in a car accident december of 2006 where we struck a car on the passenger side when they made a left turn in front of us. We did not see the car turn because we were all looking at the car to the left of us which was swirving into our lane about a mile before the accident. He braked really hard, so we looked forward and BAM we T-boned an SUV at about 45-50 MPH. I was in the backseat drivers side, and i remember the first thing i felt was like my hips and chest had been crushed. I got out of the car instantly because my chest felt like it were on fire and i couldnt breathe. I got an xray on my chest and they said it wasnt broken.. ok. for about a week i had a hard time breathing, coughing, laughing, sneezing especially. About a month after i started going back to the gym and excersing lightly, but my chest hurts on occasion accompanied with pain in my back and neck. Also my chest will pop and it is the weirdest feeling ever. the driver in my car which happens to be my sister suffered from a torn ligament in her knee and a pinched nerve in her back causing numbness in her leg. Is there anything i can do to figure out what is wrong with me? My doctor told me it was just a chest contusion but that was before the popping and accompanied pain started... Thanks

It has now been 7 days since my car accident where I hit another vehicle head on. Since the incident my chest has been in constant pain. I can't breath without being in pain. Sneezing, coughing, yawning all result in a very sharp pain up the centre of my chest.
The doctor in A&E said I was ok on the night of the accident. Five days later I saw my own doctor and he signed me off work for a week.
In the mean time my shouders and neck have gradullay grown more and more stiff and become more and more painfull. I've been advised this pain could last 2+ weeks and O'm willing to accept that dianosis. What worries me is that there is an indentation of my sternum.
Surely thats not right?

I was also injured 04/27/2008 in a high speed accident. A car pulled out in front of me out in the country and I was driving 70mph. I was taken to the local hospital and told I was just brused and sent home. Two days later I went to my own Dr. because the pain when coughing, laughing, sneezing also brought me to tears. I also had the "poping" feeling someone else was talking about. My Dr. ordered a CT that day and when the results came in, he admited me to the hospital. When you have a fractured sternum one must cough to keep the bacteria from collecting in their lungs. It has now been a month and I still hurt every day just not as bad. I am so ready to go back to life as normal but do not see the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep going to the Dr. until they find out what is wrong. This kind of pain is not from bruising.

I was also injured in a car accident. The force of the impact caused the seatbelt to fracture my sternum. The radiologist initially missed the fracture on the x-ray along with the small collapse in my lung. The doctor in the emergency room told me it was a chest contusion too. I would ALWAYS recommend going to your primary doctor. I was told by my primary doctor who received my x-ray results that my sternum was fractured..which I was never told at the hospital. She had me take Musinex to keep my lungs clear so I wouldn't develop pneumonia. I was in EXTREME pain from the injury and 3 years later I still have pain which I found out was from the strained ligaments. My doctor pushed on the joints which connect my sternum to my ribs and they are still painful..However I feel so much better than I did after the accident. It took a while..it took about 3 months for the bone to heal..then you have muscle atrophy to work through in your chest and then you have to deal with the ligament damage. It is a slow process. I am writing this in response to the person who does not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I understand that especially if you are used to being active that this injury is very frustrating, but you will feel better. I also felt like I would never get better..It is a slow recovery process. I still have pain from the ligament damage but do yoga, play golf and exercise..the pain is annoying sometimes, but I am not in constant pain. It just gets sore sometimes. I never took anything more than advil for it which I don't think really helped. Now I don't take anything. I just have to be careful lifting things. Stay positive. The pain does get better.

Me too-day 15 and I'm still experiencing horrible pain at the sternum from a car accident. Someone mentioned heat and they were right. This morning was the worst pain I've had since the accident. My doctor won't prescribe another refill of Vicodan so I'm taking massive doses of aspirin. Just when I thought I couldn't handle it any more something (someone?) gave me the idea of a heat pack to my chest. It helped me through the morning and I'll do so again tomorrow on arising. The mornings are the worst. My attorney can tell me more about this than my doctor. Because he has handled so many personal injury cases he knows this can last for over a month. Whenever I can tolerate it, I set up as straight as I can and DEEP breathe to fill my lungs as possible. Because the sternal area has very little blood flow it takes longer for this to heal.
We can make it through this.

i was in a car accident 20 years ago as a passenger in the front seat , we hit a huge tree at 45 mph. the seat belt saved my life but when i got out of the car my left shoulder was dislocated and was on my chest.i was able to pop it back in place myself , very painfull. i had brusing in the center of my chest and when i moved my shoulders back and forth my sternum would click.needless to say i couldnt play softball that spring. now 20 years later my sternum still has pain when i put pressure on it.it almost feels like there is a new bone that formed just below my sternum and thats the part that hurts when i put pressure on it. im very active with sports and stuff and it dosnt really bother me at all unless i put pressure on it. could there be a large bone spur formed on my sternum?

i was in an accident on friday the 8th january and i also have pains but remeber you have so many muscles and nerves that link to your neck chest and back that instead of it been something serious your body has been jolted. mine expecially form the air bag so it will take time for muscle damage to heel but dont worry im sure we will all recover sooon.

Oh my gosh, someone please help me! I was in a car accident a week ago. I was hit head on by a semi. I have been having all the same pains in my sternum that the rest of you have been having but I have a 6 month old baby and cannot pick him up. Everytime I do I get severe pain in my sternum that latsts for about 5 minutes straight and then hurts more for the restof the day. I basically walk around all day and night with an ice pack on my chest and my mother has had to stay at our house all week to care for my son bc I cant! It is ripping my heart out not to be able to care for my baby! I had x-rays at the hospital and they said no fratcures! can someone pkease tell me what I can do or is it hopeless I will not be able to hold my son for months! Someone please help me!

Monday, I will be one month into my I head-on. My truck T-boned a truck that crossed over. I suffered a huge chest contusion and couldn't get in or out of bed or use my arms. My wife had to feed and care for me like a baby. My advise: stay up and stay moving as much as possible; try to walk stairs to keep your lung function up, and eat well even if food makes you not hungry because of the pain.

I get a little better each day, but it is a long road back. Ironocally, the toughest thing for me to do is sit in a chair and then put my hands out in front of me and then pick things up or move things.

I am a 37 yo female who was the passenger in a F150 Pick Up when a Ford Explore pulled out in front of us, as we were going through the intersection at 60 MPH. I also was transported to the ER via ambulance. The ER said that I just had contusions ,whip plash and maybe some nerve damage to my right knee. This accident occured 4/30/2011. Well after I went to see another Dr he looks at the same CT scan and informs me I have a broken sternum. He tells me "Oh its not a big deal its not like you need an operation or nothing". Mind you Im in INTENSE pain trust me it just hurts to breathe. Now here we are 6 months later and yes I do have a new Dr but my fractured sternum is still fractured it hasnt healed one bit Im still in a tremendous amount of pain. Now they are saying that Im going to need a surgery to put a plate in my chest, I myself dont want to go through a surgery. Anyone that has been through this and has had a NON UNION FRACTURE of the STERNUM, Please I need some advise on what I should do is there any other options out there. And another thing that makes me nervous about getting the surgery is that no cardic surgeon in my area has ever preformed this type of surgery. They usually just have to use wires to put heart patients back together where they want to put a plate on my fracture. Please Please anyone with any advise or knowledge of this would you please point me in the right direction, Thanks in advance for all your help. Im just ready to be a Mom to my 3 yo and 6 yo again to hug them pick my daughter up the things you take for granted until you can no longer do those things.