I broke my sternum in a car accident last week. When can I apply heat instead of ice?

Celebrity
I don’t know about broken sternum but I when I pulled my groin, I was advised to start applying heat 48 hours after in order to increase blood flow and help with the healing.

My brother had a broken sternum once from direct chest trauma. He applied only ice and took ibuprofen. He managed to heal in two months time but his doctor said, it may take up to six months. It all depends upon injury. Hope you heal soon!

I had broken sternum once and trust me - nothing hurts like this. I just remember when my doctor told that this pain can limit respiratory efforts and that this also can include deep breathing and coughing, which increases your chance of developing pneumonia. I was using ibuprofen to stop this pain as well, but I can't say that it really helped me. I am aware of the fact that this pain can be present for a while, but this was killing me. 

Anyway, my injury was so bad and my doctor told me that intensity and pain can depend on the injury. God, I don't want anyone to feel this type of pain. 

I broke my sternum once when I was 12, cracked it when I was 14, and cracked it again a few days ago. Honestly, most painkillers do not work at all usually. I still have chest pains even when it is healed, all you can do is not lift too much, rest a lot, and do not do anything too overpowering. 6 months is about the right amount of time to heal properly, but around 2 months you should be able to breathe better. Hope it goes well, good luck!