I've been having a lot of pain in my sternum area for sometime when I sleep. I tend to sleep on my side(s) and the pain I get after awhile is terrrible, especially if I sleep on my left side - it feels as though my heart hurts. I do get relief if I hug a pillow of some sort close to my chest but if the pillow loosens during the night I wake up almost immediately with such pain. Does anyone know what this is??

i have exactly same problems. Just today I read half of net, and lot of people have thi sternum problem...still waiting for some answer

Hi, I'm only 22 and I've been having the same pain as well. It's only been a few days but now i turn to the net to find some answers.....still searching... :'(

i get the same pain when i sleep on my side. my sternum pain started when my drunk buddy punched me in the chest. what a friend.

i have this same problem guys. it comes and goes and some times it stays for a day. i read a lot about sternum pain in net. sternum pain cause because of sternum inflammation,vitamin deficiency,fatigue and any weight lifting. these are the common problems. its ok but you must consults the doctor about it.

I have the same problem I think it is due to over eating at night

I have fibromyalgia and recently found out that this can be another place for pain and inflammation. Very painful and wakes me nightly. See a doctor to diagnose and rule out Gerd or any other stomach problems.

I have the same pain when sleeping on my side and also if I sit up and take a deep breath. I am thinking cracked sternum but not sure. I have searched the net but not coming up with much.

well, it has almost been 9 months since I realized hugging a pillow is helping me to ease the same sort of pain you explained, I consulted with a yin-homeotherapic doctor and realized the right side of my body is not aligned. also had severe neck pain in my right side too .He said i had to receive some massages. as soon as I was getting the message i was feeling all right, it was ok for 4-5 days and then i had to receive another session. The doctor was suggesting i had to receive 4 messages with an interval of 4-5 days then aligned spinal cord could last for longer time but again i had to repeat it once a month while doing my ball and stretching exercises at home too.
I lost track of this doctor as he moved out of this city and i am again having the same problem. But what i realized was that, my spinal cord is not aligned and it requires constant stretching and proper breathing system. hope it could have given you some clue while you have to consult with your doctors too.

I hadn't thought about a pillow being able to help out but that's pretty much what I did for my sternum pain too. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who figured it out. How are you doing now?

i have the same problem wen i sleep at nite on my right side. its really painfull it feels like my bones are rubbing against each other. it dosnt hurt wen i sleep on my left side. iv been sleeping on my left side for a while now.
iv notice that i av kind of like a gap between my breat bone and my rib cage on my left side. but my right side dosnt av a gap at all. is there sumfin wrong wiv me?? is this normal?? plz help.

Im 17 lately i have been having pain it happen a lot I don't think it's heartburn or acid reflex, it feel like some one punched me in my sternum it helps if I take deep breaths in and out what could I have wrong as well I usually wake up on either side with pain.

I am a 36 yr old male, a little on the heavy side and I too have had this pain for a while and am seeing some doctors about it now although I get accompanied ache in my left upper abdominal in between the sternum and ribcage but a bit lower on the soft tissue... Had a ultra sound, Ct scan, and xray and all have came back normal although the ultra sound found I have a fatty liver and possible kidney stone. The Dr suggested b12 shots as I have tried other medications without success...

Will keep you guys informed

Hi, I have the same problem but after a lot of thinking I realized that a car hit me at the back of my car,6 weeks ago.I t was not alltogether a wipplas,but before this pain started I had a short time a pain in my  left face.
Just as I started to think that a had a heartproblem I went to the cardiologist and nothing wrong.So although there was minor damage on the car,my sternum had a knock of the seatbelt.Hopelfully the painkillers will 
help.

If the pain feels like a bubble below your sternum, or sharp pain on right side under rib, it could be gall bladder. See a dr. to confirm.