One week ago today, I was somewhat hit in the chest. I had an initial pain that took my breath away. It last for about 3 minutes. Later that day, it began to hurt when I laughed, yawned, turned a certain away or was hugged. Any pressure to my chest, sternum area, hurts sooo bad. It wakes me in the night and when I turn certain ways. How long shouold I wait until I see a doctor? Could it be a bruise or more?

Hello. I was playing the volleyball with my friends while we were at the coast. This ball kicked me so hard, it almost cracked my chest. It took also my breath away, but after four or five minutes I was OK.

After that, I felt some slight pain but nothing so serious so I believed that I don't need to go to ER. 

Until night came. During the night I felt so horrible. I was not able to breathe, nothing. My bro took me to the ER and after x - ray they told me that I have a cracked sternum.

I don't need to mention that I still have some pain, three months later... 

It could be a bruise on the bone or flesh, but it could also be a broken or cracked rib or a bruised lung. Although you're probably just fine, I suggest you go to the doctor to make sure that everything's okay.

Hallo,
I don’t think that your sternum is fractured because the pain from the fracture will be very painful. The fact is that your must have had a hard hit to your sternum and it was just bruised and will you have problem with the pain. You have to understand that your body needs time to recover from the injury but there doesn’t have to be a fracture in order to have a pain. You should apply some ice and try to take some pain killers in order to lower the pain as much as you can. You can always see your doctor if the pain doesn’t go away in few days.

All the best to you,
Karen

I've been having the same issue. I randomly started having chest pain near my sternum 3 days ago. I wasn't hurt or anything along those lines, it was just random. It doesn't hurt when I breathe only when I move certain ways. It feels like something is bruised and I'm stretching it out. Does anyone know how to make this go away ??

I have the same problem now ... Did you figure it out ??

I had this problem, and it turned out to be that my shoulder bone was out of place. I had it put back by a chiropractor yesterday but I'm in a bit of pain, and that's how I found this article.

Same the pain is excruciating and it hurts when I breathe.

I was leaning over a large chair to pick up something that I dropped behind it. I felt something that I cannot even describe other than a sharp pain that stopped me solid. I don't see a visible bruise on the top portion of my sternum but the pain shoots across when lifting, stretching, laying down, twisting, etc. Sometimes it feels almost like a burning sensation travels across the top of my chest. I have been sleeping at almost an upright position to avoid pain. Has anyone felt a sensation of burning?

Yes, I have. I injured my sternum 6 days ago, while I was plunging a stopped up toilet. How goofy is that? The handle slipped & punched me in the sternum really hard. There was a red spot there for 2 days, and the pain is just like yours. It BURNS & radiates out from the middle out into both breasts. I cant turn over in bed, and I can't get comfortable sitting in any position. I have osteoporosis as well as rheumatoid arthritis, so I'm a real mess right now. I'm going to se the doc for xrays next Monday so we'll see if im broken or bruised.

let us know!! i was kicked in the chest while wrestling with my girlfriend and am feeling exactly like everyone else here. i just dont want to go to the doctor if its just sore.

Last week I was struck in the chest by the corner of a microwavw oven I was trying to move to a high shelf. It literally knocked the breath out of me and hurt the rest of the day. I did an internet diagnosis of bruised sternum. I read that it takes four to six weeks to heal, and basically the only treatment is ice, rest and tylenol or the like. The next day it felt a little better, but after doing just regular house and yard chores, I kept hurting the area all day. Now, nine days later, it still hurts as much as the first day. It hurts to breathe, to sit, to stand, to lift, to turn. It is breath-taking pain to cough or sneeze or hiccup.
I don't believe there is any reason for anyone with this to waste money on a doctor. Even if the sternum has a stress crack, there is nothing they can do other than to tell you to rest, take tylenol, and ice it a few times. Of course if you are having dangerous symtoms, or heard the bone crack or passed out, definitely go to the emergency room.

I was playing soccer and went in for a corner kick and got kicked directly in the chest. I have had intense pain in that area for about 3 days now. Should I go to the doctors or just ice that area

How long did the pain last? Its been 7 days and in still in pain

I was playing soccer yesterday and got knee'd in the chest and hurt today. I have a game today and want to know if I can play. I've bruised a rib bone before and definitely couldn't play soccer. I haven't tried running yet