My ten year old daughter has been complaining about a spot in her chest. When she points to it, I believe it's her sternum. She says it's her 'non-breathing spot'. She has been complaining about this for about a year now. I have just kind of played it off and said 'oh, you'll be okay'. Tonight while playing in the pool my husband picked her up and when he put her down she was having trouble breathing. We took her in the house and tried to calm her down. We called the ambulance and she got worse and worse. Everyone kept telling her to calm down because she was hyperventilating. At the hospital the doctor said it sounded like she'd had a panic attack. I don't know what to think. On one hand a panic attack sounds right but on the other hand...has anyone heard of a 'non-breathing spot'? Not sure what to do or where to go from here. If you know something that could help please let me know.

The only context in which I've heard phrase "non-breathing side" is in relation with swimming - could your daughter possibly picked up the phrase somewhere like that? It's not much help, but it's difficult for children to explain how exactly do they feel because they don't know the words or even possibilities that the pain could have come from stomach (like from heartburn), but I doubt that it's caused by some injury or inflammation because in most cases then it's very painful to breathe in/out (so hyperventilation should rule that out, but I feel that it still would be a good idea to take your daughter to a pediatrician). As far as the panic attack is considered, the situation you described hardly sounds like a trigger, but how is you daughter in other areas of life? Is she shy, outgoing, concentrated on her tasks... I feel like she probably could say if she was scared something bad is going to happen, but still... Pediatrician is a good start.

Ok, well thank you very much. I think your right and I think I will take her to a pediatrician. Was just wondering if anyone had heard of such a thing. I appreciate you responding to my post. Thank you again.