I was playing soccer and i slpit 2 defenders and then a 3rd ran inbetween them and their shoulder or elbow or something real hard hit my sternum. It hurts when i inhale deep or exhale deep or clap or laugh or lay down

Hi! It is very possible that you have a fractured sternum. What indicates fractured sternum is pain around the injured area, tenderness, swelling, maybe redness, and aspiratory pain. It could be fractured ribs as well if there is a chest pain and discomfort. However, what you need to do is have an X-rays, because fractured sternum can be dangerous. Less serious complication would be difficulties with breathing, and the worst is lung atelectasis, condition where broken part of sternum can end up in lung causing atelectasis.

Well will it do me any good to know that it is infact broken? what is ussually done to fix it? it hasnt really gotten better since wensday

Your sternum will heal like any other broken bone. In order for a fracture to heal as well as possible, a good reduction, or placement, of the bone must be attained. It will be strong enough for most activities in 6-8 weeks, but is not completely healed for 8-12 weeks. Once the bone has healed, you would probably have to do some exercise. The thing is that I can’t tell you exactly because I don’t see it. You need to have x-rays done to see the injury. In order to understand your treatment, and the options you may have for treatment, you need to discuss your fracture with a doctor. Every treatment is individualized based on the patient, the x-ray appearance of the fracture, and each case must be treated individually. It is also important to maintain good nutrition in order to heal faster. You need to be sure to eat enough calories and protein for your body to heal. About this is another thing you need to discussing with a doctor.

well i got an x-ray by people that seemed to have had as much experience taking them as do. THey didnt find anything but it still hurts like hell. I think it may even be getting worse. The past couple nights I havent gotten any sleep because i keep turning and waking up. It hurts the most when i laugh, cough, and it hurts really bad when i'm sitting on my butt and lean back, and i sneezed yesterday and i thought i was going to die.

I have also notice my chest itching a lot more then ussual

could they have missed it or could there be another problem?

Well, both of the options are possible. However, it does sound quite dangerous. If not dangerous, then pretty discomfortable and annoying. What did your GP say before /she send you to have Xrays. They must have found something. Your symptoms don’t sound like something one could play with!!!!! If these doctors don’t sound serious, visit others!!!!

It is so true, both of those options are more than possible. But the good thing is that it is probably nothing that dangerous. I had issues with cracked sternum and it hurts like hell. I remember that at the beginning they haven't found anything, after the second x - ray they saw "something" but third x - ray showed that I really do have cracked sternum

Pain was literally killing me, but my doctors told me that I need to be strong since they can't do much about it except giving me some painkillers. They helped me a lot.

It is a good option to seek for more opinions if you see that this one can't lead to anything.

Good luck. 

I have this same problem. When I cough it hurts so bad I break out into a sweat! not sure what i did!

I have the same injury,, i was laying on my side when someonedecided it would be a good idea to people's elbow me..., he landed right on my shoulder, and something happened on the mid top part of my chest... can't cough, can't take shirts off , or pu tthem on, and def can't lean back.. however nothing really hurts when i tap the bones in that area or press down on them.. is it still my strenum.?? i'm scheduled for an exray tomotrrow.

hi i was wondering if anyone could help me.

i realised my collar bone was sticking out and it was also popping in and out. ive been to the doctors but at the moment they are being very vague about what i have to be doing for it.

i am in a lot of pain and discomfort at the moment and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what i need to do with it whilst im waiting.

thanks

I HATE THIS THING. Summer is comming and i want to be outside with my shitrt of for most of the summer. Im going to be 16 in august and i want it off. I have a hot girlfriend and its wierd when she puts her head on my chest. I know this itsnt as bad as you guys when it is hurting but anyone thinking about sugery and getting it removed!

well ddue u outta go to the doc cuz u could die the bone could pock ur heart and other organs this is a fatel issue u should visit a good doc.

Well i had this same problem too. I had a pain in my sternum everytime i stretched or couphed or bent the wrong way. I thought i was having a Heartattack!!! it was unbelievable pain alll throughout my chest. Sharp pains. I went to the doctor and he told me it was that the tissue behing my sternum and rib cage was inflamed from where i used to put pressure on it at work. They game me antibiotics to bring down the swelling and i haven't had it since then!

I had a terrible auto accident way back in Dec. of '91. I broke all the ribs on my right side, along with many other injuries. No one ever said anything about my sternum being injured. Through the years, I've been able to feel something shifting in there when I lean up or something. It's always gone away. Last night, I was resting on my side and "it" shifted again. All last night and all day today I've had terrible pain, I can't walk upright, coughing, and laughing hurt. It FEELS like my sternum is cracked. My question is, could it STILL be fractured from that accident? Could it have become re-fractured due to not healing properly after the accident?
Thanks,
Ellentis

I broke my sturnam because I fell off the ladder on my butt. It wasn't a hard fall because I only had one more step and thought I was further down ready to step on the cement. I am sure my sturnam took the trauma instead of my back because 10 months ago I had vertrobroplast on three vetebrae and there just wasn't the flexibiliy there any longer. xrays did not shoe it but an MRI did. Since my bones are so bad how long do you think it weill take to heal? It has already been a whole month and still bad pain.