Hi I am 48 year old male who for the past 6 months has experienced leg pain expecially when walking up steps and i have noticed my left foot trying to point inwards. i have leg pain when laying down also. 8 years ago i have compression fractures of t9 t10 and t11 they have healed. I just received the report from an lumbar mri and do not see my ortho till apr 4th so i am a bit anxious when reading the results. Can someone explain all this to me. The report goes. There are normal appearing intravertebral discs at the t12-l1, l1-2 and the l2-3 leverls. There is congenital spinal canal stenosis from the l3-4 level inferiorly. At the l3-4 level, there is a broad based disc bulge, as well as mild prominence of the ligamentum flavum. There is mild central canal stenosis. L4-5 This level demonstrates a broad neck disc herniation of the protusion type into the subarticular and far lateral location on the left. This appears to contact the exiting L4 nerve root. The R L4 nerve root appears to exit normally. There is a left greater than right lateral recess stenosis. The central canal stenosis is graded as mild. There are facet degenerative changes at this level. L5-S1 The facets are relatively unremarkable at this level. The neural framina are patent. There is a small disc herniation of the broad neck protrusion type anteriorly. This does not contact any of the adjacent neural structures. There is bilateral lateral recess stenosis. What does all of this mean?

Dear tcasten, 

It probably means that you have a normal MRI for age. 

All people have various arthritic, disc, foramen, and articular changes with age especially to the lower lumbar vertebrae since they hold up more weight (than the thoracic vertebrae for instance) and there is more motion there than in the other spinal units...the thoracic vertebrae, for instance, do not more much in a fore and aft fashion as the lumbar vertebrae do.

Most people have a neurological problem deep in the buttock in the piriformis canal. That structure is between the iliac spine and the sacrospinous ligament and the piriformis muscle. The sciatic, posterior femoral cutaneous, and pudendal nerves pass through that snug passageway. 

If a person has an autoimmune disease compression and abrasion of the nerves will cause them to have "vascular inflammation" and the swelling of them in the tight passageway will cause a person to have low-back and leg pain (sciatica) and also, usually, a decreased sense of touch of the penis and scrotum (posterior) on the painful side compared to the other side or the abdomen or the inner thigh.

Drop me a line if you want and if you want more information. 

Yours, Norsk10