I had a spinal fusion in 2002, and for the most part, have led a productive pain free lifestyle.  However,  3 days ago I noticed swelling in my lower rear hip area and the swelling, accompanied with a "mushy" like feeling got worse.  I presented to the Emergency dept. and my BP was 155/105, that is how much pain I was in.  The burning sensation in my right buttock and right leg were so severe I felt like I was going to pass out.  I was examined by an emerg doc (no tests were performed) but passed on my past back problem history, diagnosed me with yet another bulging disk.  His actual words were "you have a disc that has let go".  So, he prescribed Flexoral, Endocet, Atavan under the tongue and Amitriptyline, 1-4 tablets at night on top of the above mentioned.  I am still in excrutiating pain and cannot get comfortable.  The assessing doctor feels that the disc should shrink enough with the medications and appropriate rest but I'm on day 3 and see no results or pain relief.  Can anyone help or suggest anything?  I am hoping there might be someone who has experienced something similar.  I have been getting up and walking around, as per docs orders, but the pain and burning just won't stop....

Go to your primary and ask for a MRI.  if you have fever, go to the ER and ask for a neuro consult and MRI.  Hopefully you don't have an infection in your back.  Any swelling can cause lots of pain when it is in your spine.  The nerves get pressure on them and you get pain.  If you are getting no relief, don't wait.  I would even see your surgeon that did the fusion if possible.  Good luck.