I have been diagnosed as having Central annular tears at L3/L4 and L4/L5, which showed up in a MRI. My local doctor advises me that nothing can be done and to just learn to live with the pain. I find this advise astonishing as I am in extreme pain every day and night. Could you please advise what treatment (if any) is required.

Many Thanks
Mark Bowman
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA :-(

i to have the same tears same area my doctors have not told me that
im taking percocet and valium and antiflamatorty meds yes im in a great deal of pain to there are treatment here in the states .i have seached the net for days getting all the information i can on these tears the spinal fluid leaks in to the tears and causes a lot of pain my right testical feels like its being flicked finger urinate alot more no sex can't to much pain i say find a nother dr. soon read up on the net here lots of info

Dean washington state o.O

I have had a leftsided annular tear in L4 for 4 yrs. Found by MRI. It has been agonizing. What has helped has been PT and a technique massaging the L4 dermatone areas of pain patterns. IDET surgery was suggested but it seems to be controversial. I wish I had a better answer. Injections don't help me. Traction did. Taking special enzymes for pain may be an answer. I haven't tried. There is a drug called Lyrica which helps burning pain. But there are options at least - topical gels like biofreeze or voltaren gel may help. Tiger balm. I feel bad for the guy in Sydney, Australia. No doctor should ever say live with the pain.

Good luck to all who suffer from this. Ice paks help me the most!

Melanie
Boston, MA (where there is no definitive answer) %-)

i also have a tear and it is agony i was perscribed tremadol 50mg not great, waiting to go to the pain clinic to see if epidural injections help, that is if i am suitable to have them what ever that means.the pain im in is so bad at times i cant even put socks or shoes on, the only thing that has gave me any ease is to lie across the bed on my belly with a hot water bottle on my back. i have had this pain for 11 months now it is terrible i feel your pain.

I as well have annular tears along my lower back. I get what I call locking of the lowerback at times. What I mean by is that I can't stand up,walk,stand sit or anything else. I get down in my back for several days. This has being going on for 2 almost 3 years. I have done the injections and they seemed to help a little bit. Bu I as well are on pain medicine as well as a nerve and muscle relaxant. I still have pain everyday and don't think that I can even go back to work. I am a very active person but,due to my back I don't have the ability to do the things that I use to. Try heat packs for 20-30 minutes at a time. That does help a little. Not sure what is gonna happen but, I am tired of living with back pain everyday. I also have bulging degenerative disks and degenerative disks disease as well mine are L4 all the way down along with SI's .I feel for all of you as well. My back has just gotten worse. 2 years ago I had and MRI done and I didn't have any annular tears and now I do. I just had another MRI done.

:( Hi,I to have L4-L5diffuse disk bulge. central posterior annular tear w/moderate narrowing of the neural foramen bilaterally.and am in constant pain.epidural injections didnt help I had two of the three shots.no releaf.Went back to my surgen said I needed spinal fusion. feb-10/2010 I will get my left hip replaced, then I will have my back done I pray this helps the pain. wisconsin

I have had an annular tear of the L5-S1 disc and have tried the injections, rest, and am waiting to get another appointment with a spine surgeon. I am also looking into laser spine treatment. Anyone head of this treatment?

I have annular tears at L4-L5 and L5-S1. I also have disk bulge
degenerative facet disease and lower lumbar degenerative disease
the ball of my hips that goes into the socket are square I had surgery in
July and it was not successful in fact they want to do full hip replacement
on both hips. I have days when I can barely move and my doctors told me that
annular tears and disk disease is not painful that it's all in my head, I went to a
specialist he took one look at me and said (mind you without doing any test) there is
nothing wrong with you, I walked out and went to a different doctor in the same building
and he told me it was because I am so young so the other doctor assumed I just wanted
drugs. I am in pain all the time and I am not on meds cause like I said they claim it's not painful.

i had a discograph done last 2 weeks ago. i have a tear in my l4-l5 disc, as well as a bulg in that disc. In 2 weeks, that disc will be taken out and my back fused with a bracket. Its a newer procedure with minimul side effects. should be back to work in about 3 weeks since i work in an office.

I had a back injury while working and had a MRI that said I had slight disc buldge c-6.That wasn't what was causing all my pain the about 2 months later after telling the workers comp. doctor that it was not getting better then they did a thoracic MRI said I had ruptured disct7 disc buldge t-8 slightly pressing against spinal canal.then I go through an FCE in august and during the FCE my lower back felt like it was on fire.I called my doctor and told her this she said here is some triamodol for pain I can't see you anymore comp. will not let me.I was in and out of the hospital for 8 months after that for extreme pain in lowere and upper back I am on norco for pain zophran for vasovagal syncope that I got do to my back pain. I finaly was able to afford to see my family doctor after being in the hospital again for the pain. He ran a MRI on my lumbar spine that said L5Si disc buyldge with annular tear.Is there anyone out there that can tell me if one injury can cause another for over compensating or something.Quote:

I have 2 bulging discs and disc desiccation and central annular tairing! I am in so much pain at times I just cry!!! I am getting my 3rd injection this monday but the last 2 have not helped me at all! I'm so sick of being in pain! They don't really like prescribing me pain meds I barely get any and I have to work and live a life!!!! I HATE this and I am only 25 years old! :'(

I was told from a chiropractor and also PT that it is possible. I have L4-L5 annular tear thats is protruding and putting pressure on L5 nerve root and L5-S1 bulging disc and have slight pain in my Thoracic level (not enough for me to even think about/ seek treatment for though). Before stopping PT, my therapist did presses (I don't know what its called) all down my spine and said that I was very stiff and barely moving at all in the centre of my thoracic level. She suggested this could be because the stiffness and problems in my lumbar region. Don't know if its true but thats what I was told! Slightly different, but I know my hips have been affected and cracking like crazy because of the stiffness in my lumbar region so theres an example of another area being affected. I've also read a lot about degenerative disc disease and unfortunately, some ppl are more prone to disc problems than others... :(

I have been diagnosed with anular posterior tear with a bulging disc in the L4/L5 region in my back. I have been experiencing some temporary paralysis and also many other symptoms such as pain in both hips especially my right one and am always in pain. I have numbness in my butt that sometimes expands down my legs and sex is so painful that I would prefer not to have anything to do with it. No matter what position I sleep I always seem to wake up with both heals of my feet feeling like they have been set on fire and am unable to get out of bed right away because I cant move. I have been told that I am not a surgical candidate but have not been able to get a clear answer as to why not. I have been told that I have a 21lb weight restriction, I am only supposed to sit or stand for 1 hour and I can walk for 1/2 hour. I guess I am supposed to stay in bed for the rest of the time. I don't know what to do. I have been off work since the end of December 2011 and am finally going to see an orthopedic surgeon.

All anyone has told me to do is the restrictions and heat/cold compresses. If anyone can suggest anything else that would be great. Thank you

hi Angela, I have no suggestions but I have the exact back problems as you. My tear is at L5 S1. I just got the report today, I see my surgeon tomorrow but not for this for left rotator cuff surgery. I am 58 yrs old. I have the same problem with my hips and sleeping and low back too of course. I have been told not to lift over 10 pounds. I went out of work at age 40 for a spinal fracture- T 7 mid thorasic which causes me pain to thsi day. I get very little help here in Md. too, I have had spinal injections and an epidural in my back for a week with meds put in everyday- that was about 14 yrs ago. They say theres not much they can do to help me now, as I have severe osteoporosis too. I fear my future looks very bleak and painful. Maybe we can stay in touch & see what treatment offers we get in the near future. I am in constant pain with some paralysis at times down both legs and into the outter side of my feet. Thats really scarey !

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I wish you the very best and hope you get the help you need. take care. rose dalton

don't go for surgery its gonna ruin ur back go for yoga that wil help u in many ways