I have been in back pain, radiating to legs for more than 6 months. We discussed GP and Physio and I have been doing exercise, but not with any luck.

Recently I got CT Scan performed, GP advised that I got "Disc space narrowing at L5/S1 with facet joint degenerative changes".
I have been referred to musculoskeletal physician.

Can some one explain, What does "Disc space narrowing at L5/S1 with facet joint degenerative changes" mean?

HI I SUFFER FROM THIS TO JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WAITING FOR FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENT!!!WHICH IS NEXT WEEK!!!JUST WONDERING IF YOU HAVE FOUND OUT ANYTHING ELSE YET COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS...

I just went to the Dr. and thought I had sciattica because I too have the shooting leg pain down the left. I was just told by primary care that I can go to Physical therapy, but I really would rather go to chiropracter. I am disheartened that the exercise therapy hasn't helped. that is exactly wha they are telling me to do. I had a feeling it would be a giant waste. What exactly does this mean in relation to my back. Is this serious or just a common thing in my 40's??? Hope you are checking the blog. thank you so much for your share...

I just got diagnosed with the same, along with degenerative changes of the sacroiliac joints bilaterally. I'm not yet 29! I've had this problem since I had my baby, who's now 17 months old, although it wasn't as bad in the beginning. Basically, what it means is that the disks between each vertebrae are cramped and getting smaller (better than a herniated or slipped disk though). It's sort of a kind of arthritis. My doctor said that exercise (low impact) should help heal it or at the very least keep it from getting worse. I will be doing physical therapy. I'm also going to pursue alternative medicine, like acupuncture, chiropractic, diet changes, and yoga, and try using the law of attraction to help heal myself (try and focus on healing thoughts rather than focussing on how much pain there is...right now enough that I can't sleep and am online!). I hope this helps.

hi my name is jeff i have been suffering the pain in for 4 years this is my list you ready lbp left foot numb ,lombago,insomina,depressive d/o,htn,anxietymoodchanges,nerver root compression,disc herniation,disc bulgel4,l5 i have had 1 laminectomy and 1 discectomy and say it out again and they say i should have another opp i have been thinking about a artificial disc just don't know yet so i suffer i am only 30 they cut me 1st time at 25 after 2 years of pain and try this try that if they got it i have done it 4 Edi's months of Physical therapy etc. and at 29 just 6 months ago but i try not to get down just got to try and keep your head up best way you can and try not to sit on your but to much it makes your pain worse i have found but do what dose not hurt and keep it short best to all who suffer the pain

Disc space is the gap between two adjacent vertebral bodies. This space may be either widened or narrowed in pathologic states. In otherwords some disease is narrowing the space between your vertebrae. (i.e. osteochondrosis, calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate crystal deposition disease, gout, neuropathic osteoarthropathy, rheumatoid arthritis, dialysis spondyloarthropathies, sarcoidosis, the list goes on..)

Facet Joint Degenerative Changes are something that everyone gets with age. It's a common scapegoat to diagnosis "Chronic Back Pain." It's "normal"

I'm 17 and I have those exact syptoms. My doctor first said Sciatica, but X-rays show that my L5 is narrowing. The doctors won't tell me much... Does anyone know how they go about fixing this? I am way too young for this... :-(

I have visited an urgent care, primary care, ortho care, physical therapy and spine specialists. I have had five injections, 3 MRIs and yesterday a bone scan. Every diagnosis has been different. The last visit paired with the bone scan results state I have increased blood pool in the region of the L5 and S1 region; facet joint. Now physicians are stating I should try a chiropractor or may be acupunture. The one thing they fail to realize is that when the area is touched, it "really" hurts. Also, they push for more narcotics which I refuse to take. Being an athlete this is really disheartening. Any suggestions?

I too was diagnosed with L5/S1 disc narrowing with leg pain and I tried physical therapy and pain pills and chiropractic care and these did not help me. I then tried IDD therapy and just had another MRI done and I can honestly say that my discs are regenerated and I have no more pain. I swear by this!!! I also was diagnosed with some scoliosis and this too is gone!!! NO DOCTOR WILL ENCOURAGE THIS BECAUSE IN MY OPINION IT WORKS!!!!!

have a bulging disc at L5 and S1 along with mild arthritis. It has plagued me for about 5 years now. The pains I have felt I thought were only my own but now I see there are so many more out there with this. I have had several injections, prescribed several different medications and still no relief. I suffer with pain and pressure in lower back and pain down both legs, primarily the left one. I also have horrible leg cramping for about 2 months after receiving an injection. So I would like to know what is this IDD therapy?

i am 15 and have just been diagnosed with DDD. my L5-S1 disk is currently herniated to both sides, and hitting a nerve root causing pain down my left leg. i've gone thru 2 years of chronic back, hip, and knee pain, been in physical therapy almost the entire time, had 7 MRI's, a bone scan, multiple X-rays, 2 cortisone injections, and recently a hip arthrogram. i've seen every kind of doctor from orthopedics to spine specialists to neurologists to finally figure out that there isn't much i can do about my problem. the doctors have all called me a "diagnostic dilemma" because after all those tests, it took them so much time to find my herniation and now my DDD. i'm currently the youngest case of DDD that my doctor (the doctor of the green bay packers) has seen, and its quite frustrating to know that i have a condition that doesn't usually begin showing up until people are in their 20's and 30's. sure it's incredibly common for people in their 70's, but at 15, i'm quite discouraged. i begin to see a chiropractor tomorrow and i hope that it will give me some relief. :'(

I hurt my back in 2005/06 and had to have back surgery, which resulted in a Laminectomy/discectomy of L5/S1 :'( , now I hurt my back at work again, this time i have major pain in my left leg, numbness in my left leg and foot, radiant heat pain in my hamstrings on my left leg. I have been taking Oxycodone for about two months, now my doctor has me taking Morophine 15mg 3x a day or every 8 hours. I had my MRI on sat 5/2/09 and today my doctors nurse calls and tells me that my results show narrowing of L5/S1. I have been on the web looking for a cure, maybe a white unicorn miracle, but to no evail, nothing. I have talked to several people, and all say my only real option is to have surgery to eleviate the presure on the nerve. before the injury I had no pain and was feeling really good about my self and my recovery and looking forward to getting back to welding and continuing my life after my original surgery, now I think about taking my life, all i need is 10 of the moriphine which is 150 mg of moriphine and just falling asleep. the pain is what i dont want to live with, i cant live like this. will surgery take the pain away or am i just condemed to a life of pain? if so then id rather fall asleep and ask god to forgive me. i used to be active, biking , working out, and I loved to weld, make things,now i have no idea what i can do for a living. I have an attorney for the workers comp injury, and wonder what my doctor will suggest. will it be surgery or a life of drugs to help with the pain. to be honest i would have the surgery if it means the pain of the narrowing will be gone. i recovered from the first surgery after about 6 months, so i figure i can recover this time also if the depression doesnt get me first. has anyone exp this problem? if so any tips would be great. should i see another doctor? maybe a neurologist, i would be game for surgery, but if that isnt a option for me from the doctors point of view then, i hope the lord will forgive me.

Just got my Ct results of Ct Lumbar Spine... Slight asnterior displacemnet of the body of L5/S1 and there is marked narrowing of the intervening sic space. At L5/S1 there is mild posterior bulging of the disc margin associated with the anterior displacement of the vertebral body.
What does this all mean?????

It could be lyme. find a lyme specialist on the internet. It's treatable with antibiotics. I have it the same as you and it took 10 years to diagnose.

I am sorry to hear you feel this bad, I see your post was a few weeks back. Are you feeling any better? Sometimes pain, and the meds used to treat our conditions change the way we think and feel. Maybe your doctor or nurse could suggest a reason for your feelings of hopelessness. Sometimes sharing those feelings with another suffering person helps. I can relate with your story and feel sorry for you, it sucks to be a regular person and then be dealt a hand like this, but try to remember, it is a temporary setback, as long as you have good care and do your best, you are on the right track. I will be praying for you, both physically and mentally, remember, some of the meds can really mess with your head...been there done that. Good luck, and god bless, Kim