Hi, folks. I have heard that lidocaine is commonly used as a topical anesthetic. It also can be used as antiarrhythmic drug. I would like to find out what kind of side effects this drug can give. I would appreciate if someone can answer to my post. It will mean a lot to me. Thanks, guys!

Hello, there. You are right. Lidocaine has indeed a wide area of clinical use. It shows almost none of side effects when used as topical anesthetic. Side effects here more depend on a technique of administration. When given with adrenalin which causes vasospasm, the effect of lidocaine can be twice longer. It is also used as antiarrhythmic drug. In this case it can show some adverse reactions to central nervous system and cardiovascular system. Hypotensions, bradycardia, seizures and similar symptoms are possible. I hope this helps.