Hi, folks. My best friend is 19 years old and I think that he exaggerates with energy drinks. He drinks them during the day, he drinks them when we go out in the evening. I bet they can be harmful. What are the side effects of the consumption of these drinks? Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate it.

Hello. I think that you are concerned with a reason. Consumption of one drink per day shouldn’t alarm you. However, if he drinks all the time as you say, some caution is needed. Caffeine is present in energy drinks. There is also ginseng present which enhances the effect of caffeine. Some adverse effects could be irritability, insomnia, anxiety and similar central nervous system symptoms. Tachycardia and arrhythmias are also possible. Increased urination is also possible. You should try to talk to your friend. Try to confront him with the facts. He may be reckless for his health now, but later in his life he will have problems.