Hello, there. I started working last year as a bodyguard in a firm. I mostly work at night. I am afraid this may affect my health, so I would like to hear what other people think on this. What are the side effects of working night shift? Can anyone provide me with more info? Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Night shifts indeed can impair one’s health in time. The sleeping is disturbed. I won’t explain how healthy night sleep is important for good health. Experts talk about this all the time. In time, you won’t be able to have a good sleep during the day. While you are young, your organism compensates this somehow. However, I am not sure later. It will affect your central nervous and cardiovascular system. Your eating habit is also disturbed.

Thank you for answering. I would agree with you. I have been doing this job only for a year, I have noticed some sleep problems. When I get home in the morning, I have troubles falling asleep. I am 29 years old and I guess I will experience more side effects in the future.

Night shift disrupts the whole biological cycle of an individual. Read on to find out the adverse health effects of Irregular work shifts.

The brain generally requires at least 8 hours of sleep to feel nourished and rested. But because of the busy environment during the daytime, it is not always possible to sleep 8 hours everyday. As a result, your body will be tired and you will feel fatigued the whole time.

The sleep/wake cycle of the body is disturbed because of working in shifts. When you are awake during the night and asleep during the day, your body does not receive the proper, positive biological cues because of the amount of light that is present in the environment during the daytime. These signs are very important to regulate the circadian rhythms that control the sleep/wake cycle of the body and brain. Inturn, this will pose difficulty in sleeping.

Working the whole night can also cause heart attacks. People who work during the night and sleep during the day are more susceptible to heart diseases and even heart attacks, mainly, because of their work pattern. This is because of lack of proper sleep, stressing your body during the night, chronic stress, etc.

Not only heart attack, an irregular heart beat is a good indicator of the condition of your heart and your body as well. Irregular heart beat can occur when you work during the night and try and sleep during the day. It is also a good indicator of how your body is taking this whole change in the sleep cycle. An irregular heart beat can cause several other diseases in the body as well.

Another very important problem that night shift workers face is they are not able to relax from the work environment, after their shift is over. This might not seem to be an important thing, but it sure is. People who work during the day time mostly have 3-4 hours before they go to bed. But night shift workers generally come home and get right into the bed with all the stress and tension of work with them. It is very important to relax and distance yourself from the stress of the work before you go to bed