Hi, folks. My father has been diagnosed with colon cancer. Doctors say that there is not much to be done except pain management. I know that he will receive morphine. Does this medication have side effects in cancer patients? I would like to know this. Thank you for answering. Bye, folks!

Hi. I am so sorry to hear that. Morphine is a powerful opiate analgesic. It is given when strong pain appears. I am talking about pain that is characteristic for cancer patients and patients with heart attack. Its main side effect is strong addiction effect. However, this is not something that you should worry. It is more important to relieve pain of your father. I guess none of us “healthy people” can imagine the intensity of pain that a cancer patient feels. Tolerance is also possible. Consult your father’s doctor for more info.