Hello! My father was diagnosed obstructive sleep apneas last year. He tried almost everything: special aromatic pillows, “sleep apnea diet” and a CPAP mask, but nothing helped him. His doctor says he should try UPPP surgery since his soft palate and uvula are falling backwards blocking his airway. He also says his tonsils are obstructive too and that they will be removed as well. Will this surgery help him? I also heard the patients feel really terrible pain after UPPP surgery. Is this true?

Hello! Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty is a surgery where the lower part of soft palate and uvula will be trimmed off by a surgeon. I think that the success rates for UPPP surgery are around 85%. The surgery usually takes an hour. The patients are usually kept overnight in the intensive care unit since post-operative swelling could worsen their airway problems and endanger their life. If everything goes well that first night the patient is released home the next day. Your father will have a very sore throat and pain for ten to fifteen days. I heard the pain may be severe, but it depends on his pain tolerance. Anyway he has to prepare himself to at least one week of pain. He will be prescribed pain relievers and it will probably take a month before he feels close to normal.