Hello, folks. A good friend of mine is diagnosed with larynx cancer. I think that the form is called anaplastic. The doctor recommends chemotherapy. I really don’t know whether this will help him. I must admit that I am concerned. Can someone provide me with more info on this? I will appreciate it.

Hi, there. I am sorry to hear that. Anaplastic cancer means that cancer cells are very low “differentiated.” The lower they are “differentiated,” the worse prognosis is. Chemotherapy consists of administrating special drugs called cytotoxic drugs. These drugs kill the cancer cells that have lower point of differentiation. However, these drugs can damage some of the normal cells in the organism that divide more than others. Those would be skin cells, intestinal mucosa cells, hair cells, etc. That is why chemotherapy has many side effects. On the other hand, your friend cannot be without any treatment, can he? You should consult an expert for more details.