My friend was in a car accident three months ago and suffered serious trauma during the accident. He broke both legs in several places and has been having terrible headaches, which still remain unexplained. I was asking him about the medication he is receiving, and he told me he is on morphine sulphate. I didn't know they still prescribed that stuff? Doesn't morphine sulphate have nasty side effects?

You are right that morphine sulphate is a heavy drug. Sometimes, severe situations call for severe solutions, and with injuries such as the ones your friend apparently sustained in his accident, xmorphine sulphate is often used. There are side effects, ranging from constipation to (perhaps the most notorious) addiction, but morphine sulphate DOES do a good job at keeping the pain away.

Once habituated it doesn't have nasty side effects except for constipation and then dependency of course.