I have been smoking for nearly five years now. Those years have flown by, and what I thought was a casual smoking habit has now turned into a full blown addiction to cigarettes. When I don't smoke cigarettes, I think about them all the time. It has taken its toll on my lungs, and I have decided to beat this addiction and give up cigarettes altogether. What can you tell me about the side effects of this?

Side effects of giving up cigarettes? Quitting cigarettes is really hard, so let's start with the positive side effects to give you a little extra motivation. Every day you don't smoke, your lungs get cleaner and the effects of smoking grow less. If you've smoked for five years, you'll be just as healthy as you were before cigarettes in just another five years time. Of course, you'll want to light up really bad when you do stop. Even that gets better with every day, so just hang in there. You've already made your way to an online medical forum. We're all here to support you, so why not keep this thread going? Let us know how you are doing, and how many days since you last smoked a cigarette. Whenever you want a cigarette real bad, just come here and post about it, instead of lighting up!

jonah1910 wrote:

Hey jonah, giving up cigarettes is a very tough process. Right away when you quit, you will probably run into headaches, being in a "grumpy" mood, you may feel stressed out by little things more so. I would suggest try not to quit cold turkey, if quitting is hard I would look into patches its what my brother did and he smoked for 10 years. If that doesn't help talk to your doctor, they have medication to help with quitting and to make side effects of quitting more bearable. A friend of mine was put on a medication where the taste of a cigarette was absolutely unbearable. There is also short term medication where it helps your body cope with the lack of nicotine so you wont "crave" a cigarette and sooner or later you can kick the habit no problem.