hi i normaly get anxious thought when im stressed or worried i worked along with a therapist but the anxiety has came back again i knw its always goin to be there but can you give a natural herb remedy to calm my silly nerves down thankyou

i do not know of any natura herb remedies but you can try meditating to relieve stress or yoga. Also just going for a walk outside or getting a good laugh helps as well.

I know that herbal remedies can be tempting because they're from nature and they don't require a prescription. But a lot of herbs you find at the store aren't what they advertise themselves to be, and their long-term use has not been studied. I think it would be best going to a therapist again if you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety. After all, working with anxiety is an ongoing process, not just something that can be cleared up like a rash. Are you able to go to one? I wish you the best.

There are tons! However, just like the last poster stated, not all supplements are what they're stated to be, so do make sure you get yours from a reputable company.

The good news is that natural supplements have been used for THOUSANDS of years, so they will be your most reliable, safe, and dependable option out there.

For anxiety, I would first recommend that you ensure you're getting the right balance of nutrients through a NATURAL multivitamin. On top of this an extra calcium/magnesium supplement and an amino acid called GABA work wonders. GABA has actually been referred to as "nature's valium" it's so effective- but with no side effects!

Good luck!! :-)

Hi MMG, I am curious to hear more about GABA only because I am always a little suspicious when I hear that something has no side effects. I know that there may be a very reduced chance of side effects with it but virtually everything you take in some form or another has an effect on your body that can be slightly detrimental or something along those lines. Do you mind giving a rundown of what all the benefits and counterindications are of GABA? Thanks!

If you have anxiety associated with a lack of sleep, you may need GABA, 5HTP, or L-tryptophan. Each are amino acids that help with this kind of anxiety.

As far as reputable companies, I highly suggest Nature's Sunshine. They're a company with some of the highest quality supplements that actually do what they advertise to do. You won't find any in a health food store. Go to their website and order from them directly. You can also look up supplements they have for anxiety; I know they have combinations of herbs. If you want to know which combination would suit you best, you can call a representative for help. I've found them to be very helpful with information.

There are also homeopathics you can try. Those really don't have side effects because any homeopathic your body doesn't want, it simply doesn't use. Go to your local health food store and look at various homeopathic remedies/combinations that help with anxiety. If you need help with various brands, ask someone working in supplements. Bach brand Rescue Remedy is a fantastic homeopathic remedy.

Just remember, if you use homeopathics, keep them at least three feet from electricity. Just a general rule.

Since MMG hasn't come back to talk about using GABA, do you happen to have any answers to my questions about that? I'm curious just because I was under the impression that you only used certain amino acids every day anyway and so I didn't think you'd have to take special amounts of them so that you feel better. WHy is it that you want to keep homeopathics away from electricity? What effect does that have on them? Thanks!

You do get amino acids every day, just like vitamins and minerals, but there are certain metabolisms that need higher doses of certain things than others. I need 5HTP and GABA, and in fairly large amounts even though I'm only 115 pounds, because my body doesn't produce large amounts of seratonin by itself.

GABA is known to be metabolized quickly in the body and sometimes not metabolized well, therefore causing anxiety and a lack of good sleep in people. Many people who have a problem falling asleep at night because they can't shut off their brain and often worry about things while lying in bed usually don't use GABA correctly and would do well to supplement themselves with it at bed time.

As for side effects, it's one of the few amino acids to cause virtually no side effects. Because it effects the nervous system, it has been known to cause slight tingling if the body receives too much, but that goes away fairly quickly and with no known long-term effects. GABA is incredibly safe.

You want to keep homeopathics away from electricity because they work electrically in the body. They're sensitive to electromagnetic frequency and can stop working completely if they receive too much EMF. If you ever get them x-rayed, they become completely ineffective. It's best to keep them three feet away from anything electric. Your pantry's probably a good place.

Oh, and by the way, I called Bach's Rescue Remedy a homeopathic remedy. I forgot that it's actually liquid flower remedies and not homeopathic, so it's safe to keep near electricity.

That's good advice, so thanks for providing all of that. How do you know what you need in terms of your amino acid needs? Is there a test you can take or something like that to figure it out?

I apologize; I work long hours so I'm not always able to get to the computer.

Great advice, Bedson.

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, so if you are getting sufficient amounts of quality protein in your diet, you should be getting sufficient amounts of aminos. When individual aminos are used in higher dosages, like the GABA, they have therapeutic and healing effects, just like an herb would.

As far as testing your amino acid needs, the only test I know of that would be effective is biomeridian testing or kinesiology. Biomeridian is testing on certain points on the hands and feet. This test can tell you what deficiencies you may have, as well as toxicities, parasites, etc. Look up a biomeridian or EDS technician in your area.

Kinesiology is a form of muscle testing. A person trained in this puts a certain supplement/product near the patient and tests the strength of the patient. It's hard to explain, but for example, if a person "likes" a certain supplement, their muscles will remain strong or become stronger. If a person "dislikes" a supplement, they become weaker. Many know how to muscle test, so one can also call up homeopaths or naturopaths in their area and ask if they know kinesiology or muscle testing.