I am going to get zanaflex for muscle spasticity for certain activities, and my doctor was adamant that I should limit my use of zanaflex to these activities only. Does that mean there are some heavy side effects from zanaflex that I should know about? If zanaflex is supposed to have a limit use, does that mean it is dangerous?

I don't think that is the reason. You should not use zanaflex all the time because, even though muscle spasticity also has its dangers, the reduced muscle tone that you get from using zanaflex might endanger you while you are driving, for instance. There are some side effects, but they are mostly your typical, run of the mill side effects, like dizziness, diarhhea, drowziness... Nothing to worry about, and you might not even get any side effects from zanaflex at all.