My insomnia is not something I often talk about. It is not like it is always there. There are months that are pretty good too. But as soon as I am worrying about something, under financial stress, or whatever, the insomnia hits and it makes me feel horrible all night and then all day long. I have been thinking about trying valerian, because it is a herb and available over the counter. Would I be right in assuming valerian has much less side effects than allopathic insomnia drugs? Can you tell me more?

Of course valerian has much fewer side effects compared to diazepam or any similar drugs. That does not mean there are no side effects at all unfortunately. Mental numbness and even mild depression can result from the long term use of valerian, so this is something you might want to watch out for.