Hello guys. Ever since my husband abandoned me and my two kids, they are having the same problem. They are going through really hard period in their life and I am trying to give them everything they need. Maybe I made a mistake, but I can't help it. They are twins and a couple of days ago they were at the field trip with their school. I believed that they will be good there, but they were calling me every day telling me that they want to go home. They are coming back tomorrow, but I am sacred about them. I was reading about this. I think that I know what this could be.

What are signs and symptoms of separation anxiety in children - especially Toddlers?

Hi there. I am very sorry to hear this. It usually happens when parents are over - protective to their kids, but you can't blame them, right? Nobody can't blame you for this. There are a lot of symptoms that can indicate that issue. The most common symptoms are worries and fears. That means that when kid is far away from home, he or she is scared that something is going to happen to those who you love. Sickness about ordinary things are possible. They usually don't want to go to school or similar issues. 

Have you noticed any of those symptoms earlier? 

Well, one of my kids was avoiding to go to the school telling me that he has a fever and that he feels sick and I could see that he is doing fine. But I didn't believe that this means that my kid has some issues. At all. I mean, I was a kid once and I have tried so many times to avoid school when I didn't want to do some test or something similar. I know that this can be caused by changing the environment, but they will be home soon. Of course, ever since they called me I can't eat, I can't sleep or do anything else because I am thinking about them all the time. I am scared, to be honest with you but I can't help them while they are far away from home...

Well, you can't do nothing about this now, right? You will have to wait for a couple of days until they are home. I don't know if this has to do anything with separation anxiety, but there is a big possibility for it. They have some of those symptoms, but don't be scared to talk to someone who is an expert. That is no the same. This is the only way that is going to help you find out what is going on. 

Also, you should let your kids know that although you understand their feelings, there are rules in your household that need to be followed and you need to set them. 

Here's what I know to be the easiest symptom to notice. If your kid is afraid of unfamiliar people and unfamiliar places and if this prolongs for quite some time, your kid is probably suffering from separation anxiety. I know this might sound weird, but this is actually true, psychologists use this symptom to see if kids are really suffering from separation anxiety. Other than this, others symptoms include kids being scared to be left alone, kids having an unrealistic and lasting worry that something bad will happen to the parent or caregiver if this kid leaves, bed wetting is a symptom as well...

If a parent cannot notice that his or her kid is afraid of staying home without his parents or going to school because he won't be with his parents there, I don't know who would be able to notice all of this then.

The symptoms are clear, and these are exactly the ones that people above me mentioned. They are very easy to notice if you are a caring parent and if you are spending enough time with your kid. You can talk to your kid about it, but I think that your kid could benefit the most from talking to a child's psychologist.

This is probably the easiest thing ever to notice. If your kid doesn't want to stay alone, if he cries and freaks out as soon as you leave him (or her), then there might be a chance that your kid is suffering from separation anxiety. If he does whatever it takes to stay with you or his caregiver, if you can clearly notice that your kid is afraid of being alone then he is probably suffering from separation anxiety. I don't know what to do in these cases but I assume that the smartest thing would be to talk to a doctor about it.

It all comes down to this, just like others told you, if your kid doesn't want to stay alone, if he would go crazy and cry and I don't know what even if you just want to go to the store, then your kid is probably suffering from separation anxiety.

However, this is quite a normal thing to be happening in toddlers, or in kids in general, and they usually overcome it on their own after some time. However, if it endures after your kid is, let's say, 6 or 7 years old, then you should probably seek some professional help.