Hello everyone. Lately, the dog that I took from shelter is strange. His behavior is different than before. For example, yesterday, when I wanted to give her lunch, she came in front of me and she just looked me with her sad eyes. She just wanted me to cuddle her. She didn’t want to eat or to drink water, and she went to the corner of my backyard. My neighbor told me that she is depressed and that I need to find a way to cure this.Can you tell me what are signs and symptoms of depression in dogs? 

Hey. Those are signs of depression. Depression in dogs is not so different from depression in people, actually it is really similar. Here are some other signs. Your dog is becoming withdrawn. A depressed dog may stop interaction with his companions, even with you. When you see that your dog is becoming inactive, he doesn’t want to walk or play anymore with you, that is also a sign of depression. Changes in appetite is also a symptom. Now, you need to see is he changing his sleeping habits. That can also be a sing of depression. Observe is he sleeping well. Depression can be really, really ugly. 

You are totally right – your dog is depressed. But, don’t worry, it is something that you can cure very soon. Maybe there are not some medical condition that can causing your dog to feel depressed. But, the symptoms are: changes in behavior, which means that your dog can act differently, become withdrawn, etc. Maybe he will lose his energy as well, he doesn’t want to play with you, he doesn’t want to go to the walk, and it is irritable as well. Also, if he sleeps a lot, this can be other sign of depression. You should observe if his tail is limp, this is something that shows you dog’s mood. 

Depression in dogs is not that common I think. Am I right?

I’ve had several dogs through my life and only twice I’ve witnessed a depressed dog.It was few years ago with my dog Whitney.  She had her puppies in May and they were with us for a while since we could not take them apart from their mother that soon.

After a while, we sold most of them and we gave two of them to some friends. She became very depressed when they were gone. That lasted for days. It was mostly just refusing to eat, sleeping irregularly and stuff like that.

Our canine friends are a lot more similar to us than we thought. Their depression manifests almost as ours. They tend to reject the food (some people overeats themselves, but much more refuse to eat), prefer to be left alone, and sleep all day long.

Basically, you can easily see that something is not right with your dog but the problem is to determine the cause. Is she lonely, did they take offspring from her, does she have problem with atmospheric pressure (just like humans do),… possibilities are numerous.

You can take her to the vet or you can try spending more times with her playing and making her favorite treats. The depression is easily treated, but you must be there for her and give her all the love you can.

To me, it’s pretty obvious  when a dog is depressed. You need to know your dog well to know if he is depressed or just not in the mood. Some dogs are naturally lazy and not interested in stuff going on around them. But that doesn’t mean that they’re depressed. 

Dogs tend to change their behavior when they’re depressed in a way that cannot come unnoticed. 

They eat less, they sleep more (or sometimes less, but you will notice sleep irregularities), they don’t want to socialize much, they refuse to play… stuff like that are the symptoms.  They stop seeking for attention.

My dog was in exactly the same situation :/ Those were really heavy days for me and my family. I really didn’t know how to react, I went to see the vet and he told me that I should play with him more often, or to buy some new toys for him. That didn’t help my dog, so I have decide to buy a new pet for me, actually for him. And that was really helpful. My Max was really happy with new pet and I was glad because he was out of the depression. He was never depressed again.

Bringing another family member ( a new pet) can help a lot. Especially if it’s a young dog full of energy, it will certainly be less monotonous for the depressed dog.

But on the other hand, it can make the situation even worse.

Especially if the depressed dog is the only pet in the house. He is already used to get all the attention and now when you bring a new dog to the house, you will split the attention and that way he may feel even worse.

Maybe the best you can do is give him all the attention that he needs, just like with people.