A couple of days ago I ran out at my old friend from high school. I remember that she always wanted to be a mom, but she couldn't and she adopted this beautiful girl. After seven years I saw her and that girl is now 16. She is really cute and beautiful, but she is a little bit strange. She looked at me and she told me that she has some anxiety attacks and that she is suffering from depression. That is really horrible. Can you tell me do you know how commons are anxiety and depression among teenagers?

Unfortunately, mrs Sick and Tired, this is very common.

There are multiple reasons why a teenager might become depressed. For example, teens can develop feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy over their grades. School performance, social status with peers, sexual orientation, or family life can each have a major effect on how a teen feels. Sometimes, teen depression may result from environmental stress. But whatever the cause, when friends or family, or things that the teen usually enjoys don't help to improve his or her sadness or sense of isolation, there's a good chance that he or she has teen depression.

Adolescence is always an unsettling time, with the many physical, emotional, psychological and social changes that accompany this stage of life.

Unrealistic academic, social, or family expectations can create a strong sense of rejection and can lead to deep disappointment. When things go wrong at school or at home, teens often overreact. Many young people feel that life is not fair or that things "never go their way." They feel "stressed out" and confused. To make matters worse, teens are bombarded by conflicting messages from parents, friends and society.

Each year, almost 5,000 young people, ages 15 to 24, kill themselves due to depression.

This is really common among teenagers, unfortunately. The world has became a difficult place to live and adolescent life is hard enough even without all of these things that are making it even harder. I think that there was a study done in America that ended up with a conclusion that there are 13% of teenagers suffering from anxiety or depression. That makes it somewhere like 1 in every 8 teenagers. That is not a good thing, it is quite a bad percent. I tell you, it isn't even getting better, it's getting harder and harder for teens to function in this world.

It is very high. Most of the countries aren't doing anything about this matter, but I appreciate that some of them are actually trying to improve teenagers lives and help those struggling with depression.

In my country, there have been so many cases of teen suicides due to their depression. That's when I first realized that not everyone is fine as they might seem on the outside. One of my friends killed himself. We all thought he was the funniest guy ever and nobody realized that he was depressed, ever. It is a sad thing, to be depressed and think that nobody around you understands you.

I think it is really common nowadays. The numbers tripled in the past two decades, imagine how bad it is then. Just few days ago a girl jumped from her dorm. Her friends told the police that she was really depressed and that she rejected to hang out with any of them. She just moved to the dorm, police thinks that she waited to get in the dorm in order to do it.

It's not just her, it is happening everywhere, sadly. It is really common and there should be done something about it, I don't know what really, but nobody seems to be doing anything.

My son has been suffering from depression for the last two months. He is 19, he just keeps lying in bed and he doesn't want to get up. His doors are closed, his windows are shut and he doesn't seem to have a problem with never leaving his bed. I went to talk to his doctor soon after this all started, he gave me advice and I tried everything I could and nothing really worked. The doctor told me that the only thing left to do is to wait for him to want to get better. Before that happens, my hands are tied and I don't know what to do.

Unfortunately, today it is very common. There is one teen boy in my neighborhood who tried to kill himself because his friends were against him, they didn't like him and they were making a fun of him because of some girl that he has a crush on. He started to be depressed and his parents didn't notice it because they were working a lot and they were away from their homes always.

It is really sad, but I guess that times are so bad right now that teen people are depressed a lot. Something needs to be done in this case...

I just cant describe you the depression of my daughter. She is 16 years old and I am really scared for her. There are a lot of reasons why teens can be depressed. My daughter was depressed because her high - school friends didn't like her. She was not popular and one girl who was popular took her boyfriend. My daughter started to be depressed. I didn't notice it at the beginning, but she started to fail her exams and I could see that something is wrong with her. She told me about this whole situation and thanks God, I noticed on time that this is leading to depression.

Hi.

Adolescence is really tough time. Teens usually are dealing with emotional and physical problems. This can be very serious if they are labile persons. There is a very high percentage of attempted suicides among teens and I am sure that you can even notice this alone, if you are watching a television or reading a daily newspaper. I am sure that you can easily notice that something is going on with your teen kid. They can't hide that they are depressed. They will start to lose their weight, they won't go out anymore, they will become bad students in school. Those all are the signs and you need to pay attention on them.