Hello to all cat owners. I need to ask you a question. I hope someone will indentify with this problem, so we can talk about it.

Have you noticed that cats act strange when the autumn comes? Or is it just my cats? During the summer, they’re all happy and cheerful and then when the autumn comes all they do is sleep and they barely even eat.

I’m a professor and I don’t have much time to investigate about this, my September and October are very busy.  But does anyone know what’s that all about? Are they depressed during autumn? What are the signs of cat depression?

Hello Mima. My cat is never depressed during autumn, but I can indentify because I am.:) In modern psychology it’s called seasonal depression. But I am not sure it is possible for cats to have it.

You said you’re a professor. I assume you have a lot of spare time during summer then? Did it occur to you that maybe they’re used to your attention during summer, and then when the autumn comes, all your attention and your time goes to work, so they might be feeling a bit lonely?

The signs of depression are irregular sleeping, lack of appetite, refusing to play and stuff like that.

Cats are stubborn, independent and egocentric creatures. But they are so adorable and need our attention as they want to be loved and cared for. If they miss something they will become either aggressive or depressed (just like your cat right now).

You have two options now:

1. get another cat and hope that your cat will get along with her new friend or

2. spend more time with her, play with her, make her favorite treats…

It’s not seasonal depression per se but depression caused by a lack of attention. Remember, cat is your owner, not the other way around. If she feels you are neglecting her, she will show that openly. 

I really hate when my cat is depressed. Sometimes, I think that I can’t deal with it. My cat was depressed on October once. I think that this weather, rain and cold wind can be the main reason why your cat is depressed, because in this time, I can be really depressed as well.

Is your cat eating? Because, if she doesn’t have appetite, this can be one of the reasons as well. Remember that your cat needs your attention all the time, I know that sometimes you can be busy and that you don’t have any attention to forget about your cat, but sometimes, she can feel this. This is why she might feel alone…

Of course, cat can suffer from depression just like us. It is totally normal process, and if you notice it on time, you can heal it very soon, without any bad effects. I remember that day, when I first notice behavioral changes in my cat. Immediately, I made an appointment with the vet. I am glad because depression was not some medical issue, it was simple depression. So, I have told my vet about all changes that I have seen in my cat, such as changes in appetite, sleeping habits and personality. It was really hard to deal with it, but tnx to my vet everything was totally ok.  

Depression is linked to a lot of factors, some of them are casual factors. You have to see and notice when your cat has some changes in her behavior. So, you really should consider the situation and try to figure out are there some changes that you need to be worried. Because, like someone in here said, it can be caused by some medical reasons, and that can be serious. I know that my friend was changing residence of her cat, and that was one of the biggest reason for depression. There are really so many reasons, and you should try to find them together with your vet. 

I’ve seen so many times a depressed cat since I work as a cat sitter. The cats I’ve worked with usually have owners that are so busy, they work 10 hors a day and they don’t really have much time to spend with their pets. I assume that’s the main reason why these cats get depressed. After I start taking care of them, approximately a week passes before they start to be all cheerful and normal again. They just lack attention or they are just bored.
The most obvious signs of depression are disinterest, lack of appetite, irregular sleep, de-socialization etc.

I know people who leave their pets to their pet sitters at a regular basis. And to me, that’s a better option that leaving them home alone every day for 10 hours or more.

I also believe that cats often get depressed when they are lonely or they don’t get enough attention from their owners. Even though they seem to be totally ok and disinterested in us sometimes, they actually do need our attention.

When my cat is depressed she sleeps 10 hours a day and she refuses to eat. She only drinks water.

But I’ve learned how to cheer her up when that happens.

I have one spoiled cat which tends to be “depressed” on a regular basis. She is in the constant need of attention, although she has it enough (by enough, I mean really a lot of, as she is our family favorite).

Maybe she only needs my attention, as I feed her the most, but the fact is that she is rejecting her food too often and that is driving me crazy.

I don’t want to discipline her by ignoring her needs, but want to treat her like I treat my other two cats. I will make her foods and spend more time with her but my patience is limited.