Hi everyone.

The daughter of my very good friend lately had a lot of issues with her mental health. My friend didn't notice this because she is not so into those conditions, but I did. And I told her because she needs to know that something really bad is happening to her daughter. She is 21 years old and I haven't seen this condition before at all.

Anyway, she is suffering from depression but lately she is feeling totally lost. And I really don't know what to do to help her or which advice I should give to my friend.

What she should do?

Hello there! I just can't believe that her mom didn't notice that something is going wrong with her daughter. Anyway, now you are telling us that she didn't notice it and in the next sentence you are telling us that she is suffering from depression.

Do you think that she is suffering from the depression or she visited her doctor or psychologist?

Anyway, there are so many signs that can indicate that this girl is dealing with depression. If she is not happy at all, that is a sign number one.

But she needs to talk to someone who can help her, trust me I do understand that you have a will to help her, but you can't. Even if you have a lot of experience with depressions, every kind of depression is different. 

Well, after I told this to my friend, she brought a psychologist to their home without telling her that he is a doctor. So she was there with us all the time and she was... I don't know. Scared, lost, so unhappy and unsure. It seemed to us that she has something in her mind and  that she can't handle it at all.

So after he observed her for three hours, he told us that she has classical symptoms of the depression. She was upset.

And it was obviously that she is feeling lost when someone who she doesn't know came in their house.

What to do?

She is still so young, depression is more common in younger people than in adults. Well, she should probably start visiting this psychologist about twice a week (he should determine how many times a week should she visit him). Disorders like depression or any other mood disorders are best treated with the help of a psychologist. He should give her instructions on what to do next. She will probably start to take some antidepressants, start exercising and socializing. I don't know, I am not a psychologist, but she just needs to listen to what he says and she mustn't skip visiting him!

It all comes down to determining what caused her depression in the first place. I think as well that she should start seeing this psychologist from time to time, disorders like depression and anxiety really require professional help in order for someone to overcome them or to learn how to cope with these.

She is still young so there are not many things that could have caused her to become depressed, it is probably some family issues, love issues, or some problems at school/work. This psychologist could easily establish what is wrong and then he needs to see what to do in order for her to overcome this.

I think that you should probably let her parents deal with this. This shouldn't be your concern and if you already told them about this, then you did all that you should have done and now it is up to them to see what to do further. I agree with everyone who said that she should be seeing a psychologist, psychologists are in charge of treating people who are suffering from depression and anxiety, especially the younger ones. He will give her further instructions but it is very important for her to learn that this is for her own good and to follow those instructions.

Charlie is right, you could probably just make things even more worse for her and you can get to that point that she starts hating you along with her parents. You've done what you could and now it is up for them to do something about all that. Of course, if they happen to come and ask you for an advice you can help them out, but you still need to be careful because these are delicate topics and people are really sensitive when it comes to their children so just be careful. Do what you think would be the best.