Hi there,

Can anyone give me some advice please! Im five weeks after a laminectomy discectomy l4-l5. My back had been extremely sore for about a month finally five days prior to surgery my right leg went numb & felt almost like it was on fire. My bladder was affected as well and i was operated on as an emergency case, i had two ruptured discs trapping my sciatic nerve. The surgeon operated only on one of the discs, saying the second would give me more trouble from possible scar tissue post surgery, than it was worth. My leg, five weeks on, Is still numb with a wierd sensation in my foot that almost feels like i have a lump on the bottom of my foot & i can feel every muscle in my foot. Its difficult to explain, its the same sensation i had prior to surgery but not as bad. Immediately after the operation i got some relief in my leg/foot but not much since then. The surgeon is happy with how the operation went & said the leg thing should calm down in its own time, he says there was nerve damage prior to surgery & the nerves are regenerating. He says there are two levels of nerve damage, the first being bruised & battered nerves which generally come back within a month or so of surgery & then the second kind Is more severe nerve damage which Is slower to regenerate, sometimes taking up to two years. Im back with him in 8 weeks, i saw him three weeks ago which was 2 weeks after surgery.  The thoughts of being like this for à year Is driving me crazy, i used to run & was very fit & in terrified i wont get back there. Im traumatised by the fact i wont be able to wear heels again (i know, i know, im lucky i can walk, but...) Anybody have similar stories with hopefully good outcomes?

Aisling,

It is 5 weeks post-op for the L4/L5 ruptured disc.  My symptoms are radiating pain from my hip, thigh, calf to my foot due to the damage on the siatic.  I didn't see a lot of pain reduction the first two weeks after surgery (from my leg) so when I went in for my 2 week check up they put me on predniszone.  Worked like a champ for 2 weeks.  I was walking several miles a day and feeling awesome and then one day it stopped.  The pain came back worse than it was before surgery.  I can only stand for 1-2 minutes and walking from the bedroom to the bathroom can cause my to loose my breath due to the pain.  My BP is normally 120/80 as I am on meds.  If I walk from one floor the the other floor in my house my BP is jumping up to 190/90.  I am going to try to get into the doctors to ask for a MRI and see if the disc is ruptured again or if it's my nerve just acting up.  I keep looking into sites like this one to see what people have done to relieve the pain.  As a Fire Inspector and Firefighter there is no way I can go to work like this.  It's funny but I have seen a lot of postings from public safety employees on these sites.  I wonder if law enforcement and fire trainging are really hard on the back? 

How are you doing?  It's been several months since you posted your situation, has it gotten any better?

Shar

Hi Shar,

I'm so sorry, it sounds like you're going through the wars... My situation has gotten somewhat better but not a lot... I have pretty much constant pain in my right foot and its now 20 weeks plus post surgery. I also have numbness totally in my right foot, surprisingly enough you can have numbness & pain simultaneously (that's new to me!!).  My back feels strong, a recent MRI shows no residual damage, and my neurosurgeon says he cannot understand why I only have pain in my foot as opposed to everywhere else in my leg.  He said recently on my 3rd post op visit to him that my bulging disc was so entangled with my nerves that he was surprised I was only being affected in one leg as opposed to both so that's a positive.  im doing physiotherapy weekly, Pilates weekly, swimming twice a week, and back on an exercise bike thirty mins once a week, more positives, but I'm still shuffling to walk and stairs are very very difficult still. From here I'm not sure what's next, I've recently changed physiotherapist as I'm starting to wonder myself if my issue is not partly spinal, and partly something else and my old Physio was only treating my back.  So, new physiotherapist who will look at things from another angle, maybe a new neurosurgeon who is more able to look at the bigger picture and with some luck I will be back at work by Easter.  I hope you're feeling some relief, soon and that things are looking a little less bleak.

A