It's been 3 weeks since my laser herniated disk surgery and the pain down my leg and in my foot is still as bad as before the surgery. Will this get better and how long will it take?

hi. It does take time for the sciatic nerve to heal and that's why you may still be having pain. So long as your symptoms are not getting worse with any onsetof tingling or numbness, continue to monitor pain. You make benefit from some physical therapy to mobilize the nerve and improve core strength depending on how you are. But as always call your dr for his/her advice.

Oh, don't worry at all.
I, as a doctor, tell you that 3 week post-surgery period is very hard and you will feel relief time by time.
Drink vitamins, eat healthy food and everything will be OK.
__________________________

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I don't know about you guys, but if your pain is just as bad as after the surgery as before, then RUN back to your surgeon.
I've just had my 3rd operation for a herniated disc L5 S1 and so far so good. My first surgery was nov 24/10 and I ended up
back in the emergency dept. on dec 3/10 and it turns out there was a piece of the disc that had dislodged from behind my spine,
which of course cannot be seen and no decent doctor is going to go playing around your spine. On dec /10 he operated again.
Wasn't too bad but then shortly after that, I started to get the pain in my legs, tingling in my foot and the back pain. It got so bad
I couldn't even sit down at my doctor's appt. Turns out, the herniation had come back again. I tried to hold off thinking it would get
better but on march 25/11 I ended up back again in the emergency room but this time I couldn't even sit, stand or walk.
They had to give me IV Dilaudid just to function and on march 27/11 they operated again and removed a piece of the bone. He said
he had to dig under the bone. I still have a slight bit of pain, not too much, extra strength tylenol is pretty much helping but my foot still
tingles BUT it's better than before.
SO, DON'T JUST WAIT AND SEE IF IT GETS BETTER. FOLLOW YOUR GUT AND GO BACK TO YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY. IT'S YOUR HEALTH AND THEY CAN'T HELP YOU IF THEY DON'T KNOW YOU'RE IN PAIN.

Jill

I had microdiscectomy last July for L4-L5 herniated disc. this weekend my pain returned in tailbone and i have tingling in my ankle - same symptoms I had last year. Could this mean that I another disc has herniated? If yes, what are my next steps?