I am 53 and after 10 years of fighting with mlitary doctors (post MVA) we found a neaurosureon that listened to me. He fused the L5-S1 disc and flex-fused L4-5. I was not having any problems until stretching a few weeks ago, and just found out I tore another of the lower lumbar discs. I have degenerating disc disease, but neither of us (the surgeon or myself) expected the tear to happen. I am undergoing a second discogram so he can repair that damage as soon as possible.
Are there exercises I can do after surgery to reduce the posibilities of further damage and strengthen the core muscles safely? I need to lose about 75# as well, so I have my work cut out for me. I have marked weakness in my left leg with foot drop due to the prolonged nerve damage, and little feeling in the left hip area. Walking has alwas been pleasurable for me, but it has been a long time. I guess I just need to know how to start the right way.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions!