Hi, I will have a back surgery in two weeks, and I’m very scared. I don’t know is it risky and what to expect from it. I would appreciate some successful back surgery feedbacks.

Hi, I had severe back pain that didn’t respond on any treatment. I tried with cold/heat treatment, gentle massage and physical therapy, but I had no success. I also tried anti-inflammatory medications, but I had some heavy side effects. My last option was a back surgery. I didn’t recover very fast, it actually took five weeks, but when it finally ended I realized that my pain was gone. Before you have a back surgery, be sure that you tried all the options first. Treatments that failed in my case actually helped many other people who managed to avoid a back surgery. However, if it is really your last chance, I hope you’ll have success just like I did.

I'm posting this only because I haven't been able to find what I was looking for in searching and perhaps it can give others some help with this dilemma.

I have had severe back issues in my lower lumbar regions for over 10 years. In discs L4 and 5. So severe, at times I was unable to walk. Being a very active individual however, and wanting to avoid surgery I did everything I was supposed to. I took anti-inflammatories, I took muscle relaxers, and mostly I just did my physical therapy exercises and laying techniques when it would inflame as I didn't typically like taking medications unless I had to; and the bottom line is typically the anti-inflammatories would cure the problem within a few weeks.

However, last year during an inflammation I noticed my legs were swelling. At the time, I thought it must be a compication with the anti-inflammatories I was on, my husband persisted I was pregnant. He ended up being right and I immediately stopped taking all medications for the back problem.

Because of the pregnancy I was not able to take any of the medications and ibuprofen didn't even touch the pain so I just didn't take it for fear of it harming the baby. As the weeks went by, the pain progressively got worse and worse no matter what I did. I tried physical therapy in the actual office, which only inflamed the area even more. After sessions I could barely walk with my walker back to my car, much less bend to get in. I couldn't stand up straight, and as the baby got bigger feeling in my leg progressively got more tingly and my foot was pins and needles. I was reduced to bed rest, walking around with a walker only to the bathroom. I ate in bed, which had been moved to the floor because I couldn't get into it when it was higher up. I had to do something.

I ended up opting for emergency back surgery at 14 weeks of pregnancy. They assured me they would use safer anesthetics for the baby and at all times I questioned if I was doing the right thing, but my life had been reduced to nothing. The pain was so severe I cried most days and I couldn't sleep but for an hour or two at a time. I couldn't lay but on my knees most days which resulted in horrible bed sores on my knees that eventually healed after surgery. They allowed one short MRI just to get one picture of the area for surgery, I had to go to a special open and wide MRI because I couldn't straighten my left leg low enough without agonizing pain to fit into a standard MRI machine. They did one x-ray of the area with lead over my pelvic region to protect the baby before surgery, which my OB assured one short one would be ok.

They removed portions of my L4 and 5 discs in my back, and told me my sciatic nerve was pinched like a garden hose, the worst he'd seen ever. After surgery, the pain immediately went away and I was left only with the incision pain and some numbness in my foot. Now, 6 months later, I still have the numbness in my foot from the nerve damage, but even with gaining 30 pounds from the pregnancy and the baby (who is doing just fine and due to be born next week, its a big boy per the ultrasounds) my back is still holding up. I've been able to work until last week and my life has been better. I've been able to walk, drive, and do all the things that I couldn't for several weeks during that horrible time last year.

To be honest, I was back to work and walking only 2 weeks after surgery.

My doctor says only about 5% of people re-herniate after surgery so I'm hopeful. The bottom line is that we're all different and have different scenarios that push us to surgery, but don't be afraid of the surgery if you have to have it. Remember, if the pain in your leg is getting really severe that you can have permanent nerve damage. You have to weigh the risks for yourself to determine what is best in your individual case. In my case, I had no choice but to take the surgery to improve my families quality of life and mine, not to mention the potential risk to even further damage to my nerve if I hadn't done it as soon as I did. My foot can barely stand wearing socks or having anything touch it as it is, I cannot imagine if I had that sensation up my entire leg or even worse, no feeling at all in my leg if I had opted to not get the surgery. Another concern was the stress I was under at the time from the pain and whether or not the pregnancy could withstand that as well, not to mention my mental state.

I was scared of the surgery, but in the end it all came out ok and yours might too; just make sure you discuss all options with your doctor and weigh in the risks before making the final decision. I did, and I'm glad I did it.

Thanks for the update. As I am a surgery candidate possibly in the near future, it sure is uplifting to hear that it is worth it!

My name is Paula I am a 39 year old living in the Dallas Texas area, I am fixing to have Total Artificial Disc Replacement surgery at two levels on my lower lumbar L4-L5 and L5-S1. I am wanting to have a tubal reversal after I have heald from my back surgery and have a baby. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this new technology of artificial disk replacement at two levels, and has some information to help me, I am afraid because of pain medications and other medicine when I have the tubal reversal after back surgery and I get pregnate, the pain level scares me, I want to have a healthy baby and of course I do not want to take any pain medicine to cover the pain, I am hoping this surgery to my back stops the pain and I do not have to take any pain medicine any more, and I am scared. Can anyone talk to me about a simular situation?

Thank you,
Paula

hi, i cant believe this stuff about slipped disks etc. Ive got four smashed vertebrae. t4, t5,t6, t7 and have had it for over 30 years after a high speed motorcycle accident. Well im getting it fixed soon. Not complaining.

a hill

This is a Test