I had surgery two three years ago and now my left leg and foot are numb and hurt all the time.

Sir :
My mother is a patient of lower back pain.she feels numbness in her legs and bottom of feet. MRI scan reveals spondylothisthis.. now she is consult a surgeon and they advice her for surgery.

Tell me the procedure of surgery?
what test will be required?
Complication?
recovery time?

i'm wating ur reply.

thanks

Gloria,

I had surgery 3 years ago. I have the same symptoms. This summer my heal started to hurt the most. I am very active and discovered I overworked my foot. I have reduced my workout and walking. It may take up to 2 months of resting my foot to eliminate the pain. The numbness is permenant. But it is better than the pain I had before my surgery. Remember to buy good shoes often. Tennis shoes or good cushion sandels are the most comfortable for me. I also do daily back excersises. This has been the most helpful.

Good luck and rememeber, every morning you awake, life is good.

Steve in Mn.

I have had numbess in my left foot for over 2 months. During the last few days I have numbess in my left leg and thigh as well as in the left foot. During the last 2 days, I have noticed some numbess is also in my right foot. About a week before the numbness started in my left foot, I had gotten a cortisone shot for pain in my left knee. I am now experiencing moderate to severe pain in my mid back. My doctor sent me to physical therapy today for my back. Are there any other treatments for my symptons?
Thanks.
M.V.

I had L5 surgery 10/2007. Since I woke up in post-op, my left leg and foot are numb. Sometime between my surgery and an MRI 12/2007, I've blown out the L4.

My PT states it may take 2 years to regain the feeling. I am not holding on to that hope. The numbess has been constant, has not improved, and I am coming to terms that it will be this way the rest of my life.

I did find a yoga class near me that is specifically for people with back problems. It is the 1st yoga class of my life. In fact, I would make fun of people that went to yoga prior to my surgery. I go every week, and can't wait 'til the next class. I can't do most of the things in the class, due to my leg & fott numbness, but I feel really good the next day.

I am praying that I get the feeling back in my leg & foot someday. Nothing else is working.

I was in a major accident with my boss driving, 1989. He flipped his van 3 times and walked away. I was thrown from the van and died 2x. I had 8 fractured vertebrae and a L1 burst. Spinal cord was compressed to 30%. I had 2 harrington rods placed, T10-L3. 16 yrs later I needed surgery again, 2plates L3-4, spacer vertebrae thru stomach and 7 screws-12 hours. This was in 2005.
Just this week, my left leg has swollen to 1 and 1/2 bigger than the right. It's incredibly painful as is my surgery sight (which has been since the 2cnd surg.).
Blood clots have been ruled out with diagnostic testing. A bone scan has been recomended by an emergency MD.
My left leg is so hurtful to stand on or move. I have been very athletic and always maintained a below normal weight at 5'2".
I am now gaining weight by the day/week.
What can I do?
Please help.
CorinneinNH

I had back pain for all of my adult life. I tried every treatment there was except surgery, the doctors said that wouldn't even help. I found out through a family member that there was a new treatment called non surgical spinal decompression at a spinalaid center in Amarillo, tx. I checked it out, went through the entire program and now I feel like I am 40 again! (I'm 62 now) This treatment gave me a life I never had due to the pain. I would suggest anyone with chronic back pain(and I think they do neck too) to check out a good spinal decompression clinic.

I had L5 S1 lower lumber surgey 1/9/o9 have had numbness in rt thigh every time i stand. burning in left heel & left foot is swollen???????.

two months later dr. says u been through alot it will take time?
VERY NERVOUS!

In 2005, had back surgery (disc replacement) because of severe sciatica in both legs. Woke up with numb left leg and numbness in both feet. This numbness is painful. I have had physical therapy, but it didn't help, the pain in the leg and feet are getting worse as the years go by.

Sorry to say, walking and exercising results in pain at night that just will not go away unless I take ibuprofen or other pain relievers, and I am tried of taking pills. So now I have two problems: cannot bend anymore and can't walk around....that's life!!

i had 1 back surgery 3 years ago and one 2 years ago too. the first one was supposed to be an easy fix for a herniated disc, woke up from surgery with numb right leg and most of right foot aswell. asides from that it felt great for about a year then the pain got worse then it was originally. the second mri results indicated severe scar tissue build up which i got removed. after that it felt great for about another 9 months to a year before it started to bother me worse then ever. went for another mri this june and the results indicated that the disc i had gotten fix and the ones above them were deteriorating, along with severe Arthritis, and more scar tissue built up on my nerve root, causing extreme pain while sitting or lying down. now today my doctor tells me the only other option is a back fusion. not sure what to do seeing as how it always seems to get worse after each operation. any feedback about a fusion would be greatly appreciate.

I am going thru a similar pain. I had surgery four years ago with l4 and l5 bulge, tingling and numbness still exsists but i delt with untill. 3 month ago I felt like the day of surgery intense pain unable to stand up straight, walking is a strugle. I personally would not have my spine fused. I have been researching Laser spine treatment,it is expensive. I guess what I am tring to say last resort fushion. good luck

I had L4-L5 fused 12 days ago. They also did a lamanectomy on L2 and L3. I have had major (+/- 90%) post surgery numbness on right foot and also numbness on left leg up to hip. Obviously a very short time to determine long term results. My take is that the whole area of long term and short term results from back surgery are still unknown, but I am leaning towards pushing myself in the direction of ongoing walking and massage.

Everything I hear and read indicates that anything involving spinal cord recovery takes a lot of time, and I mean a lot and the only thing I can count on is the hope that I will at least be a more patient person than I was before. hang in there...

I had a spinal fusion when I was 12. I am 27 now and just started having pain in my back. As far as I'm concerned the fusion was the best thing that could of happened to me. It gave me the ability to live a great life. I never had any problems with back back after I had the fusion until recently. I believe my body is getting older and things are shifting. It's hard to say exactly what's wrong with my back now because it's been so long since I've seen a doctor. But I have symptoms that include numbness in my left leg and foot. Tingling in my right toes and foot that just started a couple days ago along with great back pain in the lower regions. I figure I must of slipped something recently but won't find out until I see a doctor. I'll be making an app tomorrow. It's hard to say if a fusion will be the best thing for you. I would do a lot of research and find a well qualified doctor. When I had my fusion it was still experimental.. But I went to childrens hospital and my dr was a blessing.. I think that's why I haven't been back to a doc in years. It's scares me to see anyone else. If you decide to have a fusion Im sure it will help you.. Just don't over do yourself. I did so much heavy lifting and my body just couldn't handle it. Whatever you decide to do, good luck :) I hope you get everything fixed and your pain is relieved.

I had l4 l5 surgery 2 weeks ago and have numbness in my left leg and foot. I was told by my Dr. after surgery that it would take 4 to 6 weeks for this to improve. It is a bit scary to read all of this from everyone. I have not gone back to work yet and am worried because I work retail. I walk all day long. I here everyone say different things but the thing that scares me the most are some of you that have been dealing with this for years. I am going to be patient and do everything they ask of me. I am also going to pray for all of you and hope you would do the same for me. If something works for me... I will come back to write what worked...

I had my first surgery 11 years ago and have had 4 more since then. Last was a fusion of L3-5 2 years ago. I am numb from left side of my spine  into my butt, down my sciatic nerve and all of the left foot. It becomes so numb at times that it hurts. I am taking max amount of neurotin and still no relief. Just groggy. Don't know what to do now. No more insurance and fall through the cracks for medicaid.