About 7 years ago I had a synovial cyst in my spine (L4/5) that caused paralysis in my rt leg.  I had pain in my back and numbness in my rt leg.  I went for PT until my surgery to remove the cyst.  After the operation, the doctor told me I had instability in my spine and that this cyst could come back and then I would need to have an operation to fuse my spine.  I got the use of my leg back right after the surgery and the pain went away in my back but it took 2 years for most of the numbness to go away.  My foot still gets numb if I do too much.  In 2012 I started getting pain in my hip and butt.  I went to an orthopedic doctor who gave me a facet injection.  It took the pain away and I felt fine but as soon as it wore off I was in pain again.  I kept asking for a diagnosis from the doctor and he just said it was a sore back and that he would give me another injection.  I decided to go to a highly regarded doctor at Yale for a second opinion.  He did a lot of tests that the other doctor did not do which included a CT scan, MRI, multiple x-ray views and a bone density test.  He told me that the cyst was back and that it was going to cause more damage to my nerve if I didn't have the fusion done.  I have some arthritis and between the two the space for the nerve is very narrow.   I am so nervous.  I've read so many horrible things but I don't want more nerve damage and I don't want to cover up a problem with pain killers if it will eventually cause damage.  I don't feel like I have a choice but I'm so worried that things will get worse rather than better.  I am an avid kayaker and he basically told me to find a new hobbie.  I love to kayak more than anything and I feel like I'm loosing my life.  Can anyone tell me that their life is better and they don't have to sit down or lay in bed with pain forever?????

I have been diagnosed with a synovial cyst at L4/5. This has caused extreme pain down my right leg. It started radiating from the hip down my thigh, skipped the calf and went to arch of foot. I had the trip of a lifetime planned to Europe, so I had two injections prior to the trip. Pain was not gone, but manageable. Immediately upon returning from trip I have phoned neurosurgeon to schedule the minimally invasive surgery (next week). The pain now goes from hip to foot. No longer skips the calf and has me mostly lying in bed all day. When Iget up to walk, it's extremely painful and even experience spasms while resting. I'm extremely nervous about this. I've read too many horror stories online. What do I expect after surgery?

I have a 6 mm synovial cyst L4-L5 and bone tumors L3-L4 both on RT side. I have butt, leg, and foot stabbing pain, I have numness and RT foot drooping and tripping, I ahve muscle twitching, I have extreme leg cramps, and now I have bowel control issues. I was given PT, test injections, pain pills, and then nerve ablation of which did not relieve all the pain and issues. Now I have fallen down due to lack of RT leg control and damaged LT shoulder rotator cuff. Doc wants to do cyst aspiration of which is usually 50-80% failure rate. I am now scheduled to get cyst removed and decompression done. I hope this works cause I ahve almost lost the use of my RT leg now. I understand why you are nervous about surgery but I was told I could get back into teh physical things in my life again 3-6 months after the surgery. I'm going for it.

I'm an avid kayaker too. I make my living coaching and guiding as well as teaching yoga and SUP. What did you end up doing? Did anything help? I am so confused as to what the right path is.