I am 23 and few days ago, I started to feel pain in my ear. Now I have a sore pimple in my ear and I am afraid that it is something serious. Can you tell me more about it, because it seems to me that I have an ear infection? I would appreciate any information.

You need to go to your doctor to see what is causing your ear pain and that sore pimple. It is hard for me to tell you what your case is; I cannot diagnose you without examining you first. However, I can give you some information that can be helpful. There are three different areas of the ear, which can be involved in ear pain. The most serious problem occurs when there is infection. The outer ear canal, the eardrum and the structures of the middle ear and the inner ear are three areas that can be involved in ear pain. Pain in the outer ear canal is usually caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. Symptoms are itching and pain along with dryness and treatment consists of irrigation of the ear canal with hydrogen peroxide or 70% alcohol. Infections of the middle ear occur most frequently in infants and children and symptoms are ear pain, difficulty hearing, fever, a feeling of fullness and pressure in the affected ear. The treatment is bed rest, painkillers and local or systemic antibiotics. I cannot tell you what is causing that ear pimple, but make sure to go to your doctor.

OR, it might just be a pimple in your ear and it will go away in a day or four. I get one every 6 or 8 years and they HURT. The first time I freaked out and went running to the doctor. He told me "you have a pimple in your ear. It will go away on its own in a few days. Don't try to pop it."

If you have good insurance and are really worried, a trip to the doctor is a good idea. I am guessing that 23 and posting medical questions on the internet means either no inurace or bad insurace. If that is the case, give it a couple of days as long as it is just sore and annoying.

If you get to the point that "sore" is replaced with "REALLY painful" you need a doctor. If it hits "excrutiating", you need an ER.

I have one as we speak, the damn thing makes one side of my head feel like a balloon. And hes absolutely right, smart doctor, don't try to pop it. I have been trying and if you touch it it hurts even worse. Don't try using a q-tip to pop it either. I have had it now for going on 3 days. And i have been taking some IbProfin an anti inflammatory, Also flushing with peroxide, then some cold tap water, then some more peroxide. Hurts like hell but not the worst pain i have ever been though.

Exactly. I had a bladdere infection last week so.. this is nuthing! BUt still, it does hurt.

Thanks for the advice. I am swabbing carefully with alcohol a few times a day.

yeah I get the same thing also. I think the best idea is to stop touching it and use a cue tip to wash the pimple with mild soap. If it keeps hurting and won't go away I recomend the doctor.

Ok, Let's say that pimple comes to a head and begin to drain for a day, feels like your head is about to explode and you feel extremely tired. Is it time to see the doctor immediately?

I just went to a dr for a painful pimple in my ear. Mine hurt so much that I hadn't slept well for the past couple of nights. He basically lanced the pimple to allow it to drain, which both relieved the pressure and alleviated the pain that had been radiating into my jaw and temple. He said that it's really the patient's call whether they want to go to a dr. It's not necessary, but sure is helpful if you're in a lot of pain. Draining it was painful, but I already feel much better. Warm compresses was another thing he recommended. He didn't think the peroxide would be helpful since a pimple is a below the skin problem.

I have the same problem and I had my sister pop it and it hurt more than anything and i have been through pain and since it was in the head are I couldn't really do anything about it so I screamed. I feels better, but its still there. I get it every know and then and I clean my ears very well so I do not know why it keeps coming back. This was the first time it was popped to and I will never do it again.

i wear in-ear headphones when i listen to my ipod on the subway. im pretty sure i got my ear pimple from that. It hurts when i touch it, if it stays for more that a couple more days im gonna go to the doctor.

Put some topical anisthetic in your ear. Bactine works for 2 mins or so. Pop that sucker and follow with a qtip -n- alcohol.

i have had one in my left ear for the past 8 months
it hurts so bad and sometimes i cannot stand the pain
i can remember having them alot over the years, and they dont seem to go away...when one goes away, i get another one maybe in the other ear or the same ear too.
i have insurance, but going to see a doctor about something like this will make them think you're a hypocondriac (sp?). the thing is though, it hurts, really bad. i take advil every day. i get bad headaches because of them. finally today i couldnt stand the pain and i took a pin, soaked it in alcohol for 20 minutes and scrubbed my hands clean and popped it. i felt a huge releif of pressure and i kept squeezingit to try to get all the blood and c**p out. theres still alot of it left though, and i doubt i will be able to get it all out by squeezing it. it sucks, because it really hurts, but at least i got to feel a little better by popping it. i wish i could find some way to stop getting these things.

my mom popped mine cauz she said it would help..but no, it is back a month later, and feeels really crappy...im not touchin it this time, and hopefully itll go away soon...:-(

wehn she popped it white stuff shot out! and not that much...it was soooooo painful!

so, dont touch it...im puttin my acne medicine on it...maybe thatll helP?!>....

You really have to be careful of infection. but i have one and this is the second time and it hurts like hell but all you can do is wait it out and if it gets too bad go to the er. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR EAR that could be the reason b/c the skin in your ear is the same as on your face and if its too oily thats what happens. try clean and clear wipes they worked follow them with an achohol and proxide mixture every day after it's gone..

For those that have repetitive episodes of ear pimples, talk to your doctor about acne medications. There are several low dose antibiotics that can be used to treat/prevent pimples. I'm sure this would work in the ear as well.

Continue to treat with hydrogen peroxide. I find that cleans my ears nicely. I would swab it regularly with rubbing alcohol (i like 91% isopropyl), but I would NOT pour rubbing alcohol in my ear. At this point, my goal is to keep it clean and dry it out. I expect it to be reduced tomorrow, and gone by the end of the week, but I haven't had one in several years, so my time guesstimation could be off.

I'm not a doctor, but that's how I'm treating mine and how I treat entirely external pimples.