Hello. I'm 22 year old male and just recently I have noticed that I have a small kind of pimple on my gum right over my left canine tooth! It really was a strange to me although- it looked like a usual pimple that could be seen on skin.
I tried to squeeze it and small amount of puss came out. It had really bad taste and odor.
Can someone please tell me what could be the cause of all this. Someone told me that it could be related to my sinuses and I simply don’t know what to do about it.

Hello. I'm almost sure we are talking about a dead root nerve case here. I strongly doubt that this has anything to do with your sinuses! You see, when tooth nerve dies, then the area is often being colonized with all kinds of bacteria.
This is causing inflammation and collection of puss. Because tooth could still be present, it causes the pressure on this root area and puss must came out somewhere.
In most cases- this is on gums. The condition is called abscessed tooth! You need to have a root canal procedure as soon as you can. Contact your dermatologist immediately.

just wanted to ask. i want to pop it. would that not be advised?

I have had a very similar experience!!! Location: upper right just past my canine (a little towards my molars)

This began almost immediately after my last dental visit during which my dentist performed a root canal and needed to inject me with novacaine VARIOUS times in that particular area. The site of the "pimple" in question, is just above the tooth in which the root canal was performed. Ever since then, if I press on that particular location of my gums, there is a "strange" feeling that goes up my face and almost down my tooth.

Every couple of days, this "pimple" reappears. It's more like a liquid-filled, small sack at the site which, if picked, emits a clear, semi-gelatinous substance and then blood (it doesn't hurt). Then I floss, brush and rinse for at least 2 minutes with listerine and the "pimple" ALMOST COMPLETELY disappears. However, it still comes back - same thing in the EXACT SAME SPOT and it hasn't appeared anywhere else in my mouth.

I have a feeling the root cause of both our problems is similar or the same... Hmmm!

This sounds like a sinus related to a tooth. When the nerve in a tooth dies, it becomes infected. Often this causes toothache, as the infection gathers at the top of the root, in the bone, and has nowhere to go, and no space, so any pressure causes pain. If this is present for a while, it tracks through the bone, in what is known as a sinus, and causes a pimple. This can be burst or drained, and pus, then blood will come out.
However, the source of infection (the dead tooth) is still there, so eventually this will refill. A root canal treatment will usually solve this, or if the tooth has a root canal, a course of antibiotics.

I think I have the same problem that the first user has. I have always been afriad of the dentist, and dread going at all costs. If I go to the dentist I MUST have tons of drugs and numbbings. I had a root canal done about four years ago. Even with all the drugs and other setatives they could give me I would still feel pain, I was in tears and screaming the whole time. The doctor could not finish, so he put cotton up there and I was to come back in three days. I went back and he tried to finish but still was not going to happen. So not even a year ago, the cotton came out. I did not realize at first, but I knew something was wrong. So, with the cotton now gone, I now have a a shell of the tooth. I have BAD sineous infections all the time so I am in pain. A few month ago, this bump appeared and it got bigger and bigger and then would go down to nothing. However, its right above the bad tooth. So that makes me wonder if I have nerve damage due to the root canal and this is a result of the nerve damage.

Any suggestions?

Hi, I hav hade this and i am very afraid of the dentist. I had a root canal done but it still hurts. My mouth got so swollen that I had to go to the dentist. They said it would have to be pulled. They gave me meds to get the swelling down and puss started to come out. My best advice is to go to the dentist so you don't end up like me.

I have been dealing with this for quite a while and never knew what it was until now. However i'm inclined to tell you of my experience in that i'm not feeling any pain whatsoever so i'm not sure if the nerve of the tooth is dead or not.

I did in fact burst the "pimple" tonight and found to be as everyone said, puss at first then blood, but i noticed after the blood started flowing that the bump still felt semi solid. Upon applying more direct pressure, it popped again, and a solid mucus build up came out, like a solid head of a blackhead pimple. It was a great deal bigger than a pimple, but the mound that was forming in my gumline is now gone and i'm still not feeling any pain in that area. Any suggestions?

An infected area of my #19 molar broke out in those pimples you are talking about. I got immediate help and thus have had very little pain when a specialist did a root canal. Treat yourself and get a specialist and DO IT NOW

Although it may not be advised by most... here is how i handled this problem.

I started getting a bump a week ago, and then starting last night it was huge, like myh cheek was all puffy because of it. I got up this morning and looked it up online (hence why I found this site, along with several others) I immediately started calling dentists, but with having medicaid for pregnancy not alot of dentists accept it. Which sucks because being pregnant limits my methods of pain relief :-(. So I got frustrated and NEEDED relief. So, I lifted up my cheek and saw a huge white head on the side of my gums. I took a pair of tweezers and lightly scratched at the tip of the white head. It didn't take long for it to start draining, so I had a piece of tissue handy to absorb the puss. I FEEL SOOOO MUCH BETTER!

I'm not recommending this as a long term solution, because it prolly is due to a tooth that needs to be extracted or have a root canal done, but for those of us who dont have the means to go to the dentist ASAP when something like this happens, it def. made the problem more tolerable.

for me i have a pimple like thingy in my gums. I've NEVER contacted a dentist. It goes away. My mom told me when i was a little kid that it was caused by eating unhealthy things and sleeping late hurts it more. but im guessing that wat i have is not wat yu have, seeing that wen yu tried popping it, it didnt hurt.... un less it did then jus dont fidget with it alot and leave it alone. I assure yu that it will dissapear

It sounds to me like you have a gum boil, which is an infection at the root of the tooth. This requires a root canal to clean out the infected material , or, if it is not in the front of your mouth, the tooth could be pulled. It is so important to see your dentist because you do not want the infection to spread to the bones in your face or to your other teeth. Any infection severe enough to push out through your gums is pretty bad and should be treated by a dr. Root canals, if done correctly, should be completely painless and may actually be a relief because as the infection drains out pressure is relieved from the area. On another note. To the person with the cotton left in the tooth after the root canal. Your dr. should have told you that he had drilled a hole to the root of your tooth. The cotton is usually treated with an antibiotic to help clear the infection along with oral antibiotics and is only temporary. When the cotton is removed a temporary filling is put in. An open hole should never just be left into your gum. After a root canal there is no blood supply to the tooth and a crown ( a porcelain replacement made from a mold of the original tooth) must be made. What is left of the original tooth is just a shell that can turn brown and is very fragile so it is important to get the crown soon after the infection is cleared. please see your dr. about this infection. Please keep us posted and good luck!

A few days ago a lump has come up on my gum above my teeth... I got really freaked out at first, especially coz I'm 37 weeks pregnant, and there's a lot of things I can't do.... It doesn't hurt at all, just sort of goes down, then gets bigger again. Today i've noticed that there's like a little white dot in the centre of it... (you know sort of like pimple you'd have on your skin). Even if it requires root canal treatment, I can't go for one, coz of the pregnancy... Does anyone know, wheteher it can just go away? It doesn't bother my physically at the moment.....

I have these pimples, however i have all veneers. How do you do a root canal with you have veneers?

A fistula is a tunnel conducting pus from one infection to the site of another. A mouth fistula is called a gum boil. More generally a fistula is due to destruction of intervening tissue between the two sites and is a major component of a periapical abscess. Inflamed pus forms an abscess causing a pressure increase in the surrounding tooth area. If the pus that accumulates at the end of the tooth have no alternate pathways for drainage over time spontaneous drainage may occur through bone next to the root end. The pathway through which the pus has burrowed is called a fistula.

Fistulas usually form near the roof of the mouth or on the gum and are difficult to detect. A fistula can also be known as a Parulis as this is the term given to the point at which the fistula reaches the surface of the mouth presented as a small pimple. This pimple usually ruptures to form an opening.

Treating a fistula requires antibiotics and extraction of the tooth that led to the fistula via root canal surgery. Also draining the abscess that led to the fistula is a treatment method although this is usually followed by root canal surgery.