I have 2 tiny, hard lumps behind my left ear. One is so small that I can barely feel it. It is closer to the earlobe. The second is in the hollow between the end of the jawbone and the muscles and cartilage of the neck. It is slightly bigger but still tiny. I would say no more than 4mm. They feel like bb's or peas, perfectly round, hard and small. They feel superficial, barely underneath the skin, but definitely under the skin and not a pimple. If I stretch my neck to the right, I can roll the larger of the two over the muscles and cartilage- if that makes any sense. I first noticed them approx 2 months ago when I had a cold sore on that side and the lymph nodes were inflammed. It feels as if they are above the lymph node and not attached but I am obviously not a doctor.

I had a complete head and neck workup in 9/05 including a thorough evaluation by an ent and a ct of the head and neck. This was in response to some chest pain that I was having- my doctors were being thorough in evaluating all possible causes. It turns out that I had slipping rib syndrome which was causing the chest pain, but the point is that I did have a thorough head and neck eval 1 year ago which was completely normal. I am 30 and female.

Also important is that I have recently lost 75 lbs so I am feeling all sorts of things that I could never feel before. So these little bumps may have been present for many years and I just never noticed them before.

I can't get into my doctor until next week or the week after and am panicking about this being cancer because they are so hard and I can't really find any other potential explanation. Does anyone have any idea of what they might be?

I have the exact same thing did you find out what this is

it's cartilage. I have one behind my right ear, and i went to the doctor and he had one too. He said it was cartilage and there was nothing to worry about.

So, it's nothing to worry about? Just a cartilage? I have the exact same problem. Except mine is only 1 bump, and it is like a small marble, really hard behind my right ear and above the jaw... it hurts a little when i push it though, occasionaly. Should I be worry?

i was wondering if those bumps that you got went away?
i get those bumps also, but all the bumps go away after a few days..
?

I have two of them. Behind the ear, about the size of a marble. I thought it was swollen lymph nodes. Is that usually larger in size? I have an appt tomorrow with my dr.

Oh god thank you for saying it was just cartillage. I have the same thing and I was crying because I thought I had a tumor. I'm 14 and I found them there the other night.

It could be a cyst. Nothing to worry about, it's normal. But be sure to follow up with your doctor.

I had one removed several years ago and it has now came back just smaller. Also, I had a complete head to toe deep tissue massage and the other one ended up working it's way out.

Hi, this morning I noticed a marble sized lump on my neck a few inches below my left ear. I'm not sure what it is but would like to know (I hope it isn't cancer as it runs in the family!) I'm not even 12 yet and don't have any medical conditions other that a hole in heart and heart murmur so I don't think it's to do with that. Please, if you know what it is the pretty please say also should I go to the doctors about it?

HI, could be a lymph gland. Yes go to the doctor if you have not.

Sebaceous cysts are the most common type of cysts seen in the ear. They are bulging, sac-like collections of dead skin cells and oils produced by oil glands in the skin.

They commonly occur:

Behind the ear

In the ear canal

In the earlobe

On the scalp

The exact cause is unknown, but cysts may occur when oils are produced in a skin gland faster than they can be released from the gland.

Benign bony tumors of the ear canal (exostoses and osteomas) may be caused by excess growth of bone. Repeated exposure to cold water may increase the risk of benign tumors of the ear canal.

.

Symptoms

Back to Top

The symptoms of cysts include:

Pain (if cysts are in the outside ear canal or get infected)

Small soft skin lumps on, behind, or in front of the ear

The symptoms of benign tumors include:

Ear discomfort

Gradual hearing loss in one ear

Note: There may be no symptoms.

.

Exams and Tests

Back to Top

Benign cysts and tumors are usually discovered during a routine ear examination, which can include hearing tests (audiometry) and middle ear testing (tympanometry). When looking into the ear, the doctor may see cysts or benign tumors in the ear canal.

Sometimes a CT scan is needed.

This disease may also affect the results of the following tests:

Caloric stimulation

Electronystagmography

It is? I'm crying in 9:15 in the morning

I have one behind my left ear..its so weird....I've just turned 15. It is hard and probably the size of a small marble and hurts to touch/ apply pressure.

I have it to and im 15. It is clearly nothing to worry about because if it is happening to all of us at the same age it must be something to do with puberty. And if it was really bad and this common we would hear more about it on the news/ radio/ tv. Don't stress.:-)